AM that can still be ridden uphill?To replace pitch pro

hoolabloom
hoolabloom Posts: 164
edited August 2011 in MTB buying advice
Folks thinking about replacing my pitch pro with something quite similar but with a bit more travel.

Thinking Orange alpine 160 but before i pigeon hole mtyself I d like to try a few others.
Got about £3k to play with at a stretch. So whats everyones thoughts and suggestions?

Many thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd ask first in what way is the Pitch letting you down? What forks are on it? The Alpine leans more towards the Freeride side of things, is not light, and has a pretty awful spec for the money.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    any "AM" bike can be ridden uphill, your fitness being the deciding factor. If they were not a capable climber, they'd be a freeride, or DH bike.
    3K is a hell of a budget, and will net you some seriously nice bikes. Unless you want people to just recommend everything that's available, it would help if you gave a better idea of what kind of riding you're intending to do, and over what kind of terrain.
  • hoolabloom
    Still got the supplied pikes on it.
    To be honest i fancy a change whilst i can still get some cash back for the pitch secondhand.

The riding i mainly do is local blasts in the woods at thrunton (has good mix of tech stuff and some decent Dh ish tracks too) with some cheviot rides and trips to the alps as well as inners, Glentress etc.
    Bit on the heavy side so would like a fairly strong bike thast i can ride hard downhill and still ride back up.

Not really any complaints with the pitch as a whole as its been a great bike.
  • Anonymous
    Have you checked out Marin's Attack trail? There's some mind bending bargains on them at the moment. They descend like a little DH bike, but I can testify to them being tenacious climbers too.
  • supersonic
    The Alpine is 34-35lbs, so probably heavier than what you have. But as above, it will ride back up, just perhaps more slowly ;-)

If really wanting to hit hard take a look at this Giant:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... Suspension

Long travel, but weighs about 31lbs from what I can gather.

Hard to ignore the Canyons too:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2094

Sub 30lbs!
  • hoolabloom
    Hadnt looked at the Marin but it looks nice. Fits the bracket for the type of riding i do perfectly. I d written off marin after my wifes east peak that was awful. More invest required. Thanks
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Build up this....8llb for frame and shock.....I have the 140 Snyper and it climbs really well...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=46088

The Marin is bomb proof and also worth a look..
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2101

This would be my pick of the Canyons, weight isn't the be all when it comes to climbing, the amount of pedal induced bob and geometry make a big difference too. So for those reasons, I wouldn't have the Torque
  • Lapierre Zesty or Spicy.

They're designed by a mulitple-time World DH Champion and they are tested in the alps.

2011 models discounts

160mm travel 30lbs http://www.welovelapierre.com/834/2341/ ... y-516-2011

140mm travel 27 lbs http://www.welovelapierre.com/828/1390/ ... y-514-2011

Of course everybody on this page will recommend the bike (brand) that they ride.
    :wink:
  • Pudseyp
    Lapierre Zesty or Spicy.

They're designed by a mulitple-time World DH Champion and they are tested in the alps.

2011 models discounts

Of course everybody on this page will recommend the bike (brand) that they ride. :wink:

Yep they look nice but they made the same mistake that Commencal did....when they got more popular they tried to fiddle with what worked well and moved to mass production resulting in frames cracking etc...they are also very expensive for the spec you get....

Another brand worth a try is Mondraker...
  • My Torque is actually pedalling up rather well tbh! it has less pedal bob than my Meta did lol...
  • getonyourbike
    My Torque is actually pedalling up rather well tbh! it has less pedal bob than my Meta did lol...
    I'm guessing that you wouldn't use it for general trail and AM riding though?
  • My Torque is actually pedalling up rather well tbh! it has less pedal bob than my Meta did lol...
    I'm guessing that you wouldn't use it for general trail and AM riding though?

If there is a good descent involved, i'll give it a go.

Off round Cwmcarn tomorrow (not all the red up though, slight diversion/amendment)... play on the "FR" airstream section and then back down on the DH.

Its apparently 38lb, but it doesn't pedal like a 38lb bike thats for sure...
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    Lapierre Zesty or Spicy.

2011 models discounts

Of course everybody on this page will recommend the bike (brand) that they ride. :wink:

Yep they look nice but they made the same mistake that Commencal did....when they got more popular they tried to fiddle with what worked well and moved to mass production resulting in frames cracking etc...they are also very expensive for the spec you get....

Sorry mate but that's so wrong. Lapierre have been making bikes for 50+ years, they haven't just become popular overnight.
    In 2010 there was an manufacturing fault with one batch of components (an alu insert into a carbon seatstay) which caused an issue, in all cases this has been replaced without question at Lapierre's expense.
    I know because I was one of the unfortunate ones.
    All the major UK Mountain biking magazines have had Lapierres on long term test and none have had any issues.

£1200 frame for a Alu Tomac Snyper frame when you can get a complete zesty for £1500. Please talk to me about value for money?
  • Anonymous
    weight isn't the be all when it comes to climbing, the amount of pedal induced bob and geometry make a big difference too. So for those reasons, I wouldn't have the Torque
    What are you basing that suspension analysis on?
  • getonyourbike
    edited August 2011
    weight isn't the be all when it comes to climbing, the amount of pedal induced bob and geometry make a big difference too. So for those reasons, I wouldn't have the Torque
    What are you basing that suspension analysis on?
    guess work. I was just thinking along the lines of there being more travel, so there's more bob too. Obviously it isn't so, so ignore me
  • hoolabloom
    Cant help thinking the canyons are cracking value, I cant get round the fact that i'd like to be able to go to a bike shop and check it out in person first.

Any thoughts on the santa cruz butcher?
    Still come back to Alpine and maybe spicy. All the Sheep cant be wrong surely?

Either way its time to get some test rides sorted.
  • Bionicon!

You could get the Alva 160 air with change to spare.

Not sure where you're based, but Walkers Cycling did me a great deal on my Edison, and I know for a fact they have demo bikes in.

I'd certainly not recommend buying one without demoing it properly though as they do seem to be a bit marmite. Just as well then that I also happen to know they are having a Bionicon Demo day with Beer and BBQ at Ae Forest on Sep 11th.

My Edison gets used for everything, from proper DH races to XC and marathons (I'll be doing the IOM End 2 End on it in a couple of weeks). The on-the-fly adjustable geo means it descends like a proper long travel bike should, but then climbs like a 100mm XC bike.

http://www.walkerscycling.co.uk/bikes_bionicon.htm
  • Have you checked out Marin's Attack trail? There's some mind bending bargains on them at the moment. They descend like a little DH bike, but I can testify to them being tenacious climbers too.

whats the diference between the attack trail and the wolfridge....apart from price?
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Lapierre Zesty or Spicy.

2011 models discounts

Sorry mate but that's so wrong. Lapierre have been making bikes for 50+ years, they haven't just become popular overnight.
    In 2010 there was an manufacturing fault with one batch of components (an alu insert into a carbon seatstay) which caused an issue, in all cases this has been replaced without question at Lapierre's expense.
    I know because I was one of the unfortunate ones.
    All the major UK Mountain biking magazines have had Lapierres on long term test and none have had any issues.

£1200 frame for a Alu Tomac Snyper frame when you can get a complete zesty for £1500. Please talk to me about value for money?

I am aware my dear boy that they have been arround for years but made a statement that like commencal when they started to really grow the brand they made a few mistakes and had frame issues.

As for value for money the Zesty 214 is £1,799 and the spec is not that good to be honest compared to other brands such as Cube...as per the OP and the budget etc I recomended the Tomac...as for value you comparing apples with pears as Tomac are a Niche brand that produce hand built frames in small numbers....

I did consider a Spicy as yes they are nice, but wanted to be different and have something a bit special and glad I did.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My friends Tomac Snyper snapped on the seat stays (both sides) - I took a look at his frame, it was OK but not a head turner for the price.

I also dont like the look or feel of the Canyons. cheap graphics and the torque I saw had a very flexible rear end (you could twist the rear triangle and linkage through the wheel - you cant do that on my 2001 Heckler).

As for the OP's issues - see if you can pick up a Trek Scratch Air possibly? Great bike int he air by all accounts, not too heavy and plenty of travel - there is a review on Pinkbike at the moment. I saw some deals on them back in June, not sure if they would still be available.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

• I also dont like the look or feel of the Canyons. cheap graphics and the torque I saw had a very flexible rear end (you could twist the rear triangle and linkage through the wheel - you cant do that on my 2001 Heckler).

I'd like to test this, which way did you twist? Can't feel any flex at all on the Torque... and I ain't light.
  • Anonymous
    Have you checked out Marin's Attack trail? There's some mind bending bargains on them at the moment. They descend like a little DH bike, but I can testify to them being tenacious climbers too.

whats the diference between the attack trail and the wolfridge....apart from price?
    Basically the same frame, but the Attack trail had a tapered headtube, and ISCG tabs.
    And I believe it came with a 160mm fork as standard.
  • Pudseyp
    My friends Tomac Snyper snapped on the seat stays (both sides) - I took a look at his frame, it was OK but not a head turner for the price.

I also dont like the look or feel of the Canyons. cheap graphics and the torque I saw had a very flexible rear end (you could twist the rear triangle and linkage through the wheel - you cant do that on my 2001 Heckler).

As for the OP's issues - see if you can pick up a Trek Scratch Air possibly? Great bike int he air by all accounts, not too heavy and plenty of travel - there is a review on Pinkbike at the moment. I saw some deals on them back in June, not sure if they would still be available.

Ummm both seat stays ??? I buy a bike for the way it rides not the way it looks...each to there own..
  • paul.skibum
    Pudseyp wrote:

Ummm both seat stays ??? I buy a bike for the way it rides not the way it looks...each to there own..

Well the Tomac snapped when ridden so probably not that good to buy however it looked, the Canyon seems a bit flexy so also not my bag. And Seat Stays is the correct term I believe for the tubes that run from the rear drop outs to the shock linkage.

To NorthernMonkey - we had a Torque FR (6.0?) in a bike rack and the mechanic was saying it was well specced but didnt like the flex, I asked what he meant and he held the top and bottom of the rear wheel and twisted it, on the bike in question the rear triangle flexed signifcantly and the rear linkage twisted at its pivots. I tried the same thing on my bike and nothing moved. To be honest though I saw your pic of you airborne off that bridge - if that landing didn't move anything I wouldnt worry about it! :wink:
  • supersonic
    TBH every bike I have done that with has twisted. Do it hard enough and you usual feel flex eventually. It is not as easy to see on single pivot bikes.
  • paul.skibum
    supersonic wrote:
    TBH every bike I have done that with has twisted. Do it hard enough and you usual feel flex eventually. It is not as easy to see on single pivot bikes.

Fair enough - I'd never tried it before but the mechanic obviously thought it worth mentioning over other bikes he has in the stands. Maybe he's more used to bigger burly DH rides as that's the main bike passing through his hands in a BC bike park.
  • supersonic
    Or maybe he doesn't stock Canyon where he works lol! Seen this so often, people putting down the internet brands. Of course, he might be right and being honest ;-)
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp wrote:

Well the Tomac snapped when ridden so probably not that good to buy however it looked, the Canyon seems a bit flexy so also not my bag. And Seat Stays is the correct term I believe for the tubes that run from the rear drop outs to the shock linkage.

But that's your opinion and I can't find any references on google apart from the Eli frame. As for not that good a buy.....a rating of 4.96 out of 5 on mtbr from people that actually own them and not on "chinese whispers" is to me proof that it is a good buy..
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/allmtn-fu ... 47crx.aspx
  • paul.skibum
    We were discussing the Canyon because he had not heard of them (not very common in BC) and I was saying they were growing in popularity in the UK. The mechanic in question works for our mountain tech shop - we dont sell any models of bike so it wasn't a brand attack. Just interested parties bike chat!