LIDL again - 5th September

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Good, I need a new microwave. And a naff rugby top.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    feck it! ill be on holiday then....oh well.. :roll:
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    £16.99 for a full set of panniers :shock:
  • I'll be picking up some more of the spoke reflectors. They were great last year.
  • An inflatable seat!!?? I'm lost for words :shock:
  • Has anyone on here got any of their cycling gear (tops, bottoms, etc)? whats the fit/quality like? £7.99 for a LS top seems too good to be true...
    Road: Bianchi Cento Strade C2C
    MTB: Trek Top Fuel 9
    Other: TBD....
  • paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    I think I'll get the top as I had one from lidl ages ago and its really good. Not sure about an inflatable saddle, reminds me of nike air jordans from back in the day!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • The tops last year were quite thin, more an early autumn one than a winter job. Slightly poor quality too. The tops from Aldi were great though.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    On the day not all the stuff seemed to appear at numerous stores I tried - not because it sold out but because it never came in!

What I found was not that good quality - nowhere near as good as the ALDI stuff.

Not sure I will bother...
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm with apreading, when's ALDI's bike gear coming in?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The stuff that Lidl had in the cycling promotion at the beginning of this year was pretty much the same quality as that available in the Aldi promo. As with all these products, you make your mind up and spend, or not, as you see fit; the underwear they sold me then is still going strong :D
    The older I get the faster I was
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'll be going for the shades as they suited my face shape and helmet perfectly and the foam surround is perfect when flies are about. I did cringe at the foam first of all but soon realised the benefit of it though you do need to cyt the sides back for better peripheral visibility.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    After a cheap track pump, has any one got any feedback on Lidl’s version?
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Track pump last time was a mixed bag. Cheap construction and thin alloy tubes which seem quite delicate and some have dented or bent according to online comments. However mine works well and gets to high pressures OK.

I only bought mine as a backup to my normal track pump, so happy for the money but it feels cheap and I will be careful not to subject it to abuse for fear it will break.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Any idea what the gloves are like? I could do with some winter gloves, annoyingly though the Lidl stores around me never really seem to stock much cycling gear.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Thanks for info apreading,for that price might just get one.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Track pumps are poor beyond 90psi. Both the ones I bought exploded at the base at decent pressure

You can get a Bontrager Charger for less than £20.

The tops I've had from there are decent though and the panniers are a steal.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I didn't think much of the top and gloves, they aren't doing the shoes this time which is a shame.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I've bought quite a lot of LIdl and Aldi cycling gear over the years, Generally the clothing is very good for the price - not top quality but perfectly OK for commuting. glasses and helmets are fine, and shoes are great, but some of the tools, locks etc. aren't really up to the job. I doubt whether the panniers offered this time would last more than about 20 trips before falling to bits, which is a shame because they also sometimes do some Ortlieb copies which are great.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    trooperk wrote:
    After a cheap track pump, has any one got any feedback on Lidl’s version?

I've got the Aldi one and despite it feeling flimsy, it's lasted over a year. It is bloody difficult to get it to the 85psi for my City Jets though. I usually have to wedge the feet under something and then lift myself up on the handle.

The glasses are cack. There's a big gap on the nosepiece for the wind to whistle through, and it leaves an odd un-tinted bit in the centre of your vision if you look around. Oh, and you look a pillock.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Got one of the trackpumps at work as i back up. i struggle to get beyond 90psi with it, but that's good enough to get me home. for a few quid, well worth it imo.

I'll also be investing in a pack or 2 of the reflective spoke thingys. well worth having.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    redvee wrote:
    I'll be going for the shades as they suited my face shape and helmet perfectly and the foam surround is perfect when flies are about. I did cringe at the foam first of all but soon realised the benefit of it though you do need to cyt the sides back for better peripheral visibility.

Stupid question, but can you wear orange lenses at night without being completely blind? Are any of the lenses suitable for darkness? Need some cycling glasses but not "sun" glasses as such, and wonder if these fit the bill.
  • Got some yellow lenses from Lidl. Fine for gloom - actually picks out definition better than no glasses. Think I'd only wear clear lenses if it was proper dark.
  • No shoes this year. Boo hiss.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Picked up helmet, gloves & spoke reflectors (for winter bike) just now; all for less than £20. Wasn't swayed by their "cycling trousers" (bib tights), but did notice only 2 medium amongst more than a dozen L & XL, so either popular or the Manager has bought to match his clientele...
  • Just bought some spoke reflectors on UndercoverElephant's recommendation and a pair of gloves. Don't need any more gloves but at £3.99 it was too cheap not to. Tried them on and they fit like ...... well you know.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Bought a pair of the glasses - should be better than nothing to avoid flying debris and crying first thing on cold mornings. At £8 they were worth a punt.
  • Well that has come round quickly. Plenty of everything in the Northampton store this am. Bought a shirt (grey) and a pair of socks, less than a tenner all in. The shirt is fine, even Mrs S G was impressed - in a very unimpressed sort of way :? The panniers looked a great bargain as far as I could make out and there was a small haversack/pouch sort of arrangement which may be useful too. Good Hunting to you all.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Some more of.the excellent spoke reflector straws for the CX and at a tenner a spare lid. Fiddly to get to fit right but seems perfectly good for pocket change.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • @stoneglider glad to hear it !... will pop to the northampton store tomorrow !.... wasn't sure if they were even stocking the stuff... gunna give the bibs a try...