Newbie - Hayes 9 brake pad adjustment?

frazman
frazman Posts: 10
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all great site.

I'm having a problem with the front brake on the bike. One pad seems to protrude further than the other in the caliper - meaning that the rotor is constantly rubbing on the pad. I have tried the method of lossening the caliper then retightne with the brake depressed but made no dirrence.

Is there anyway to adjust how far the pads sit out or in? I took the pads out and had a look yesterday and they seem to be 'seated' properly as clicking into place but there is just not enough room for the rotor to move freely. Very annoying problem! help me pls

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Remove pads. Clean pistons with water. Add a very small amount of DOT 4 fluid to the seals (a drop). Push pistons back in. Wipe of excess fluid. Refit pads. Realign caliper.

Hopefully they will move even,y now. If not, hold down the active piston and pull the lever to force the lazy piston out abit. Then repeat the above.
  • frazman
    wow that was quick thanks supersonic. I may have sounded like i knew what i was doing from the original post! but can you please 'school' me - so when i remove the pads the pistons are presumably the circles which sit behind the pads ( i notice 1 was protruding slighlty more than the other). 1, How do i remove the pistons from the caliper 2, i assume the seals live under the pistons and are only visable once removed?

many thanks for your help
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, the round things are the pistons, with the seals around them but you don't want to remove them or push them out too far. Just clean the general area to start with and add a drop of oil to the edge of the pistons. If you want you can press the lever slightly to move the pistons out a bit at this point (we are talking a mm or so, be very careful!). This may free some more gunk up.

Before you refit the pads, push the pistons all the way back into the caliper (tyre lever works well). Refit pads. It will take a few pumps of the lever to reset the pistons.

Not unusual to have one pistom faster than the other, but this usually makes them more even.
  • frazman
    thx again. Have just looked at the pistons again and one side is protruding about 1 mm assuming they should sit flush in the caliper. I tried pushing back in but it's staying solid. Assume i'm supposed to push back the piston back in around the leading edge and not from the centre? When cleaning should i be giving them a good scrub with something like a brillo pad and water or just go over light with a wet cloth? n.b you suggested to add a little dot4 in first post and oil in last - is it ok to use both? cheers