Getting the Autumn/Winter kit sorted...What ya buying?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
The summer's over, the nights are well on the turn and it's less than 100 days 'til the christmas tree goes up.

Time to start thinking about your Autumn/Winter kit and gear, maybe get a few clearance bargains.

Here's what I need/want

Overshoes (to suit a pair of DHB MTB shoes)

A decent pair of gloves (If I can't get any bargains it'll be another pair of Asda Thinsulates)

A new pair of bib tights....thinking Altura Nightvision

New front light

and other stuff I can't remember.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• I'd like to get a spare back light as the fenix is a great light but only get 2hrs so be handy to have a just in case light.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    a gilet for those in between temperatures.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Baselayers, long sleeve jerseys, knee warmers, warm gloves, socks, new rear light and a lot of other things I forgot about. Not for commuting thougt, that is done in my civies.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Maybe a new coat. Rain cape sorts wet weather problems, dynamo lights sort the rest.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    After I build up my new frame on monday I will know if they frame can take a set of crud road racers, got the rest of the kit, used to mtb all through winter so have gloves etc already
  • I'm pretty sorted, I've already bought a pair of Marathon Winters for the Day One, I've built a dynamo wheel and bought a nice, bright light for the Equilibrium and I reckon last-year's clothing should still be fine. The only things I'm after are some more of the spoke reflector things (Lidl a week on Monday), and a new pair of gloves for between 5 and -5 degrees. Any recommendations for the gloves?
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Nothing..... Using all my kit from last autumn.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    New back light lights. I've broken two this year already so I need a couple with good mounts. Already feeling the need in the wetter and foggier days. Maybe a SPEG Avert Jacket and some winter trousers and an extra base layer or two.

I have some Snow Studs ready and waiting, they didn't arrive in time last winter so buy now as stocks seem to vanish as soon as the ice comes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Oh, and I want some leg-warmers too, for the in-betweeny type days.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'm pretty sorted, I've already bought a pair of Marathon Winters for the Day One, I've built a dynamo wheel and bought a nice, bright light for the Equilibrium and I reckon last-year's clothing should still be fine. The only things I'm after are some more of the spoke reflector things (Lidl a week on Monday), and a new pair of gloves for between 5 and -5 degrees. Any recommendations for the gloves?

The Marathon Winters seem to have a reflective band.

Gloves-wise, the Assos Early-winter gloves are fantastic. Then the lobsters on top will take you below -5C. Great.

Bought the Boardman CX, some Marathon winters and need some mudguards and that's it - I'm fully sorted for faster winter commutes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'll be waiting for TKMaxx to get its ski/snowboarding gloves in. Bike gloves are nowhere near warm for me........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I'll be waiting for TKMaxx to get its ski/snowboarding gloves in. Bike gloves are nowhere near warm for me........

I have some Sealskinz lobster gloves which were warm enough for even the worst days, some nice Giro ones for the "too chilly for fingerless" days, it's the days in-between that I'm needing something for.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Heading into my third winter with a short(er) shopping list than normal!

Endura Stealth Extreme Bib Longs but they don't appear to have a pad, confused, what am I meant to do, wear padded shorts under?!
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... NDUZBBT380

Specialized BG Defroster cycling boots in the post!

New Gloves (maybe, burnt my current pair with a hair dryer last year :oops: )

Purchased my winter lights in the summer, Hope 2/District set-up.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just ordered and received this set. -

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ZXCLWINT/planet-x-get-set-for-winter-bundle?utm_source=Planet+X+and+On+One&utm_campaign=cca4511121-25th_August_2011_Block_Version8_15_2011&utm_medium=email

Front light is okay as a flasher, bit of a narrow beam to use as a light to see where your going.

Rear light seems very bright.

Overshoes and beanie seem good as well.

Overall I thought it was a pretty good deal for £20.
  • meanredspider
    iPete wrote:
    !

Endura Stealth Extreme Bib Longs but they don't appear to have a pad, confused, what am I meant to do, wear padded shorts under?!

Might not be a bad idea. My Assos winter padded bibs are great except my "man region" freezes. I checked with Assos and the customer service lady said I should have bought unpadded and worn padded shorts underneath. Ironically, the first pair I'd bought had no pad so I sent them back....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

I have some Sealskinz lobster gloves which were warm enough for even the worst days, some nice Giro ones for the "too chilly for fingerless" days, it's the days in-between that I'm needing something for.

Depends what your circulation is like. For example, I'm sat here on a Sunday morning in August. I've been for two rides round the block (barely a mile) to test a new GPS unit out and the tips of my fingers are slightly numb!

I've had far too much of folk telling me that a pair of woolie boolies and Northwave celsius boots = toasty feet when even a pair of BBB Ultraflex overshoes on top of that combination doesn't keep my feet warm! Cycle gloves are just not warm enough for me in winter!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    iPete wrote:
    !

Might not be a bad idea. My Assos winter padded bibs are great except my "man region" freezes. I checked with Assos and the customer service lady said I should have bought unpadded and worn padded shorts underneath. Ironically, the first pair I'd bought had no pad so I sent them back....

I've got a pair of Sugoi fleece-lined running tights which I wear under my bib shorts. I originally bought them for running, but they double-up very nicely. Legs are nice and toasty in those.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MARKF
    MARKF Posts: 29
    I bought my main winter upgrades over the last few weeks,a Hope pro 1 front light,Winstanleys are doing them for £72 & Crud roadracer 2 mudguards which I fitted this afternoon.This is my first winter commuting,I bought a Specialized Allez last autumn but only started commuting (15 miles each way) this summer.I've mountainbiked for years and ride through winter so I've got plenty of clothing.
    Some of the best gloves I've used for winter are the Aldi ones,I've used them mountainbiking in snow over the last couple of winters with no problems.
    I think my biggest decision will be wether to stick with the Allez in winter or use one of my mountainbikes.I put rigid forks & proper mudguards on a Hardrock that I have & I'm tempted to use that bike when the weather goes duff but I reckon it's a slower journey on a mountainbike.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    schwalbe marathons. mudguards go on tomorrow. shutt leg warmers. north wave winter gloves. ron hill tracksters over the top for when its really cold. ice breaker merino. mavic waterproof for baltic and a motorcycling buff.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    cjcp wrote:
    I've got a pair of Sugoi fleece-lined running tights which I wear under my bib shorts.

I've always wondered how the tights / shorts combination works.

Had we not all agreed that commando was the only way to wear shorts.

Do the tights not chaff?

Are there two bibs?

Am I asking questions no man should ask another?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    ^Tights OVER bibshorts is that traditional way....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    When very cold I wear shorts over bib tights because my bibs are padded and the shorts aren't.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • calonuk
    calonuk Posts: 78
    I need clothing but if the snow comes in i am just going to do this

http://bikeportland.org/2007/01/17/zipt ... ction-2846

exercise.png
  • meanredspider
    calonuk wrote:

Might work for snow - hopeless for black ice especially on tarmac
  • calonuk wrote:

Might work for snow - hopeless for black ice especially on tarmac

Wouldn't fancy combining it with rim brakes, either.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    snow shovel :?:
  • meanredspider
    bearfraser wrote:
    snow shovel :?:

I was talking to one of my neighbours the other evening and apparently the forecast is for another bad winter and we were seriously discussing buying a snow-blower (Costco were selling them last winter) for our cul-de-sac. I've shovelled literally tons of snow the last two winters - notably from his drive (he's paraplegic). I don't mind the effort, it's the time it takes.