Can A CX be made into a roadie ?

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Just me thinking out loud

but , could my CX, in Theory , take a 53/39 Chain set and skinny tyres ? (I have a set of disk brake wheels, so brakes wise im gonna be ok)
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Don't see why not. Many people swap wheels/tyres on their CX bikes for swapping between racing and commuting, for example. I suppose there's a slim possibility that there might not be clearance for the bigger rings on the double chainset, but you'll probably only find out by giving it a try.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    DesWeller wrote:
    Don't see why not. Many people swap wheels/tyres on their CX bikes for swapping between racing and commuting, for example. I suppose there's a slim possibility that there might not be clearance for the bigger rings on the double chainset, but you'll probably only find out by giving it a try.

Thanks

I have a 105 and Ultegra chainset from my road bikes in 53/39 that I could try

it just dawned on me, that my CX could be even more versatile than I first thought
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • chrishd883
    chrishd883 Posts: 159
    In theory - yes. Points to watch are

1. re chainset - make sure that the frame clearances are big enoug.
    Should be OK but a small number of frames have such close tolerances the chainset or chain can cause problems when a disfferent crank type is fitted.

2. skinny tyres? Possibly! A friend fitted 23mm's to his Tricross - worked but had a fair few punctures. Ifitted 25mm tyres to my Tricross without these problems. Think that 23mm tyres were a little to narrow for the the rim - hence many pinch punctures. So for tyre - it will depend upon the width of your rim.

My Tricross is my "winter commute" but is now fitted with Shimano RS10's (because I had them available) and 23mm tyres. Still a heavy bike but rolls better. Just need to sort out the canti's!!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    Changing chainset seems a faff...

What about sticking a 11-25 cassette and skinny tyres on your spare wheels??
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've certainly got away with 25c tyres on my Boardman. Cassette change would seem to be the easiest & cheapest route
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Assuming he's not already running a tall close-ratio block.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I've had a 39-53 on my tricross. No probs
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gaz - I've used a 46/36 with a 12-25 on my CX for the commute. It's a good work-out because you have to spin the gears, so I wouldn't change it. They've got 170mm cranks inseatd of my usual 172.5mm. Also, if you want to use it off-road, you're possibly reducing its versatility by sticking a bigger chainset on it.

Your spare chainsets could be used on n+1 frames... :wink:

I used 23mm, but already had road rims, rather than slightly wider rims (which I use up to 30mm tyres).
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."