Very cheap commuting bike help

jonnyroberts250
jonnyroberts250 Posts: 35
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
Hi everyone i will be starting uni at the end of september and was thinking about getting a cheap bike dont fancy getting my good road bike or mtb damaged or nicked. Was wondering best place to find cheap bikes or good deals and will have less than £100 to buy a bike with.

Many thanks Jonny

Comments

• mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Most Uni towns have some sort of 2nd hand bike shop with something worth while. I can think of at least 3 or 4 in Nottingham alone. These sell for anything from £30 to £150 for an Airlite 200 (which I should have bought but didn't).

Also, the local Ad-Mag, or Ebay or Gumtree.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • If you know how to checkout a bike and don't mind replacing cables, etc, then take a look at the local tip next time you're there! It's easily poss to pick up a slightly rusty 80's MTB for a fiver
  • Andrew N
    Andrew N Posts: 119
    Have a look at our site, you might find something there
    www.goinggoingbike.com
    Any of the usual suspects for a used bike really, my daughter put her commuter together for about £50 using some bought bits (pre-loved....), some bits off a trashed donor bike with good components and what we had laying around from other bike builds/upgrades.

Cheaper still we have a townsend in the family I picked up as a hack bike for £5.50 off ebay, it needs more fettling than the better bikes, but keeping it looked after and its been totally reliable and covered about 350miles in the last year for various occasional riders.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My town bike was abandoned and unlocked (I left a notice on it for a few weeks, but no claimant). Just an old 80s MTB, but with new slick tyres and a bit of attention, it's great for round town and no thief would think it worth the bother (I hope!). As others have said, there's no need to spend much money.
  • Freecycle , i had lost of stuff for free and got ride of all sorts i did not need but was to good to scrap.

http://my.freecycle.org/

I just got a 1992 badged MTB full suss BSO that i have added some semi slicks to that will be used as the OMFG snow !! winter hack .
    FCN 3/5/9