Ergon PC2 pedals

AndyManc
AndyManc Posts: 1,393
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
They're advertised on this website but I can only find 2 relatively unknown UK internet cycle providers that supply them.

I've seen a couple of favourable reviews, so why aren't the major companies stocking them, unless you know different ?

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
URBAN_MANC.png

Comments

• ohara227
    ohara227 Posts: 225
    You know I came here to find anything about them myself and saw your post!

Have you got them? I know wheelies sell them, rather expensive I was thinking about using them on a hybrid im going to be doing touring on - saves extra shoes!

Ta
    'The hills are alive with the sounds of panting'

Rides:

MTB - Giant 2008 Trance X2
    Road - Giant 2010 Defy 2
    Hybrid - Giant Escape 2011 City 2
  • AndyManc
    Nope, I've not bought a pair yet.

They are advertised at £50 - £60 a pair, I would like to physically take a look in a LBS, but no-one stocks them.

I'm leaning to the belief that the claims for the pedals are more hype than substance and I don't want to pay £60 for a gimmick .

I'm also suspicious as to why no major supplier has stocked them yet.

Think I'll wait a bit longer.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Do they do as much damage to your face as GC2s?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • RTW
    RTW Posts: 23
    GC2s versus face?!

The reason you haven't seen them is availability, combined with most retailers being extremely conservative (read: It doesn't look like what we have had before, so we are suspicious).

I work for Ergon, and have a set. It is somewhere in between using a cycling shoe and being clipped in, and using normal flat pedals.

SJS has them in stock. They are the manufacturers of Thorn bikes, if you don't know them.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ergon-ergon- ... prod25138/
  • RTW wrote:
    GC2s versus face?!
    ...I work for Ergon, and have a set. It is somewhere in between using a cycling shoe and being clipped in, and using normal flat pedals...
    So, are they any good? How well does the non-slip surface work?
  • AndyManc
    RTW wrote:
    GC2s versus face?!

The reason you haven't seen them is availability, combined with most retailers being extremely conservative (read: It doesn't look like what we have had before, so we are suspicious).

/

Surely Ergon could have negotiated a 'sale or return' policy with suppliers, if they're good , news would soon get round.

URBAN_MANC.png
  • ohara227 wrote:
    I was thinking about using them on a hybrid im going to be doing touring on - saves extra shoes!
    I was thinking same. I wanted a nice grippy platform but with ground clearance (I noticed that they claimed to put your foot close to the crank arm and they appear to be slim at the outer axle end.)

When they arrived I was so scared by the weight of the pack and the size of the things I daren't fit them. Huge. I think I just want to sell them unmarked. They are the PC2-L (large size) for UK8 or bigger shoes.

As for review, I can only say that the axle is stiff to turn by hand (read well sealed) and the grippy bit feels very grippy to touch.
  • AndyManc
    yowie#82 wrote:

When they arrived I was so scared by the weight of the pack and the size of the things I daren't fit them. Huge. I think I just want to sell them unmarked. They are the PC2-L (large size) for UK8 or bigger shoes.

So, that's why no retailer is stocking them .

URBAN_MANC.png
  • RTW
    AndyManc wrote:
    RTW wrote:
    GC2s versus face?!

/

Surely Ergon could have negotiated a 'sale or return' policy with suppliers, if they're good , news would soon get round.

I refer you to my comment about conservatism in bike industry retail! Seriously though, as a small company, offering retailers stock on a sale or return basis (I think this is what you mean) wouldn't really work from a cashflow perspective, not to mention that our home market is Germany, and anywhere else we are working through a distributor.

@Yowie, sorry to hear that the weight and size put you off. Unfortunately if we used existing components to dictate the limits on what things can weigh and their size, then actually we would be just making the same as everyone else. Innovation needs some room to breath. There is a lighter weight version, called the PC2 Evo which was launched at Eurobike. Like our grips though, any extra weight is marginal compared to performance gains in our opinion.
  • RTW
    AndyManc wrote:
    yowie#82 wrote:

So, that's why no retailer is stocking them .

Actually it is a supply issue. Those who have taken them in have sold them through almost instantly. However we were unable to supply until early July (add 4 weeks to appear in shops), then deduct the backorders and you will have a low stock situation. Unfortunate, because they really are pretty good.