Help with this bike frame size

LeBear
LeBear Posts: 3
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
I've bought a Cannondale Jekyll Pro pedal 2004. Not really knowing about bikes, i bought it on ebay after someone said it had a decent setup. I picked it up yesterday from london and should have paid more attention but the bike frame is definitely smaller than what i'm used to.

I'm 6 ft and the frame is 17". I'm desperately trying to find excuses to keep it as the seller doesn't want it back. Will I just think in 2 weeks time, what a waste of money? or will this 17" frame be ok

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The seller does not have to take back an auction if the item is not faulty.

Have you tried the bike? Is it too short?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Especially if you picked it up.
    You could stick it back on Ebay.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • LeBear
    LeBear Posts: 3
    although i had a rant its not for the rant that i posted this here. im posting to see what people's opinions are on the suitability of this 17" frame for someone like me, 6ft, but thanks for your replies nethertheless
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How can we tell? Everyone is a different shape, different length legs etc. If it feels too small to you that's all there is to it really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sizes of frames vary massively - one 17inch is rarely the same as another ie standover height, top tube length, seat tube, head angle, bottom bracket height, wheelbase and so on.

How does the bike feel? It may well fit perfectly, not uncommon for '17' inchers to fit people of your height.
  • i have recently bought a specialized fsr comp also 17" frame today was my madien ride on it and the only thing i would suggest about the frame being alittle short is by moving your seat back as far as possible and purchesing a longer stem than your stock one IMO..

Im 6ft tall and it isnt massivly uncomfortable, i think with longer stem you could get alittle more stretch possibly making your bike fit you for a small cost. If this doesnt remedy your ride then sticking back on ebay maybe the route for you.

Im not massivly in the know but this is the route i shall be takeing to help me :)

Blue[/u]
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    im 6ft5 and leggy. i had a 17" specialized hardrock sport. never any problems, nice light twitchy bike :)
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS
  • Deezer-D
    Deezer-D Posts: 99
    I'm 5'11" and ride a 16" On One Carbon 456. Perfect for me. Have you ridden it yet?