Fork oil leak 888s after being left upside down

konastinky888
konastinky888 Posts: 49
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Bike stored upside down overnight now leaking oil from seals? Is this normal or is there a problem? Will it be okay to just turn it over and ignore it? The forks have been recently serviced in April. They are 06 888's.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    where from?

they should not leak at all.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • From the seals where the stanchions enter the lowers
  • nicklouse
    Ah. it may just be some lube between the seals and dust wipers. I would not worry much.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • That's great, phew ! Very relived ! Thank you !
  • Right, ive just got a picture

unled1nw.png

it looks quite bad tbh.

i have just sold the bike and it was not leaking before i sent it, it was shipped in an upside down position.

Is that too much oil to be leaking?

unledtkv.png
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    That is way more than just a bit of lube under the seals, but also looks a bit strange to me. Have you sold the bike and the buyer is complaining there is a leak and has sent you these photos?

Looks a bit suspect to me - you'd have to hold the bike in the same position for a fair while to get a picture like the bottom photo
  • Yeah I was thinking that too, washing up liquid? he says he's sent the forks back to Tftuned now so because of that I think he might be genuine though? I'm really not sure. If he has sent the forks back to TFT I have offered to pay for them to be fixed there. I think that's a good offer. They didn't leave me for him leaking though that's for damn sure..... I've given him service records back to 06 3 jobs total. Last one was in April this year. New seals were included as well as new internal parts and I havnt used the forks at all really since that.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Call me cynical, but if it was shipped upside down and the oil had leaked from the wiper seals, then shouldn't it cover the whole of the stanchion rather than just an inch above it and then pooling on the floor? Plus how did all those air bubbles form on the stanchion?

Like I say, I could be completely wrong, but it looks fishy to me...

Hope you get it sorted without any extra cost
  • Cheers, I hope so too! I packed the bike well I thought, I used nearly a whole roll of the warehouse bubble wrap and completely encased the bike. It was then flipped over, boxed, then fully pallet wrapped it and taped it up.

If anyone else has any thoughts please share! Is this leak a fake or real? I suppose i may hear from TFT next week which will dispel all doubt.
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    It does seem a bit fishy, i've stored bikes upside down for more than one night and never had anything like that.
    Even on a bike with shot seals, and as horton says whats with all the bubbles.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • nicklouse
    that is a hell of a lot of "oil"

contact TF with the guys details and ask them for info when (and IF) they get them.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I've seen a Pike do that, but the guy who owned that can break anything. A few things are dodgy there.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • thel33ter wrote:
    I've seen a Pike do that, but the guy who owned that can break anything. A few things are dodgy there.

my Pikes leaked oil everywhere, never looked like that i assure you
  • Well, it was genuine. Tf rang and it's fixed now. I was out of warranty on the repairs but they still fixed it for free. Thank you Tftuned and thanks guys for the opinions and advice.