Right then, who out there can give me a definitive answer to this;

what is a healthy blood pressure for my age etc

Height 6'0"
Weight 17.1st
age 28

Blood Pressure

Heart Rate
54 bpm

i have read loads of stuff and there is a lot of general talk........

Comments

• moster
    moster Posts: 121
    normal is usually 120/80

anything over 140/90 is usually considered to be a bit high
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've heard that "textook" is either 120/80, or "normal" is (100+your age)/80

135 is not too bad though.
  • roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    kaiser83 wrote:
    Right then, who out there can give me a definitive answer to this;

There is no definitive answer. The definition of "high" blood pressure is constantly being revised in an attempt to minimise risk of stroke/heart attacks. As a rule of thumb "high" is 135+ systolic or 85+ diastolic but it will depend on when its measured. 24 hour BP measurements are more reliable, or your GP may suggest a measurement directly after getting up in the morning.

Your BP is on the borderline, probably due to the slightly extra mass you carry around with you.. :wink:

Fat has a lot of blood vessels and they all contribute to more resistance to flow of blood throught the system as a whole.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    but it will depend on when its measured. 24 hour BP measurements are more reliable, or your GP may suggest a measurement directly after getting up in the morning.

Definitely this. Just a few nerves in the doc and your BP can shoot up.

My BP was a frightening 220/120!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just before your head exploded.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It nearly did, I was in and out of hospital for 4 years.
  • Hello. I've been lurking here for a while without much to say, bought a bike about a month ago and gradually getting back into it :)

Anyway to the point. Im 27. 3 years ago I spotted a bp similar to yours 135/80 and left it. July last year I had a shed load of salty food, a stressful day and usual morons to deal with and before I knew it I was in an ambulance being backed with a bp somewhere is the 260/160 range.

Although I'm not saying you have anything as serious as I gave (turns out I have a kidney disease that just means a poll to keep bp down it transpired that without the 'bloodgate' incident I had been gradually damaging myself by not getting it checked out.

24 hour tape as they call it proved for certain it wasn't a one off so may I suggest you get it checked. May be nothing at all.

Although if you do tape try not to get public transport. I must have looked a right loon as it vibrated to pump up the cuff on the way back. Cheeky nurse even asked if I did anything 'strenuous' that would show up in the night readings!
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Age 49.
    1.83m tall
    115kgs
    BP 110/70
    Heart rate (resting): 56
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Mine has been high for years, despite decent fittness etc.

Was tested on Friday,

138 / 85. THat's a LOT lower than i've seen in many years.