Superstar Grips - Massive Thumbs Up!

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Hi Guys!

Just wanted to present a big ole thumbs up to Superstar :) - haven't bought any of their stuff before, but their grips (specifically the Superstar Supagripa) are superb quality regardless of price, which happens to be dirt cheap (£7.99)!

The locks are loads better than the ODI ones on my RaceFace Sniper Grips, sturdier grip screw, superior end plugs, the list goes on...

So there we have it, really good stuff in my opinion :)

(EDIT: oh, and the shade of blue matches the DMR v12s and 5:10 Spitfires that I've got :D - yes, on a red bike!)

Comments

• pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Superstar components are great. After years of abuse to my dmr v12's i decided to try there nano pedals. They're really grippy, far lighter than the v12's and guess what a hell of a lot cheaper too!! :D I've just ordered some disc brake pads, 4 for £22, hope they are as good as the pedals! :)
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • I really liked the look of the nano pedals but don't like the anodised finished at all... yet to see some in the flesh tho...

much real world difference to the v12s?
  • Bar Stewards - :D I just couldn't resist buying the grips !
  • Rubber wears out rapidly though... but at that price, i don't really give a f.....
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • north-sure wrote:
    Rubber wears out rapidly though... but at that price, i don't really give a f.....

yeah the bars on the back break loose but as you said........come to think of it my cube frittz grips wear alot faster than these and nearly twice the price
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    I really liked the look of the nano pedals but don't like the anodised finished at all... yet to see some in the flesh tho...

I bought a set of black ones and yes they have faded a little but it's nothing to bad, The pedal for me fits my foot better, they've got a slightly larger footbase and really grip your feet well. They're also a lot thinner than the v12's, so a good deal lighter. The build quality is fantastic, it's hard to believe they can sell them at that price. :D
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • Superstar produce some seriously good products, and the price is a darn steal. I live in Austria, and shipping has always been quite quick for going through normal post.

Once I get a new MTB frame, superstar will be receiving a large order from me.
  • Here you go folks... they go perfic with my other blue bits :D

Comfy for a while, but gloves needed for anything over about 10 miles I reckon ;) - Then again, they may just soften up a fair bit anyway...

Rockhopper-510-DMR-Superstar.jpg

Good eh :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What, the matching shoes?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Why put blue on a red frame? Terrible, like a 6 year old with color diarrhea.
  • I might get some of the excel grips once the canyon lockons start wearing out. I'm a big fan of the SS stuff.
  • I might get some of the excel grips once the canyon lockons start wearing out. I'm a big fan of the SS stuff.

I really like them, the larger grip takes a little getting used to, but much better once you get used to the feel of it. beware that they are also longer, so if you have your levers/shifters butted up to your grips at present, then the levers need moving in for them to fit :)
  • Why put blue on a red frame? Terrible, like a 6 year old with color diarrhea.
    Well... I am glad I'm in the minority when it comes to my taste in colour schemes cuz I like to have something a bit unique :)

I really like them, the larger grip takes a little getting used to, but much better once you get used to the feel of it. beware that they are also longer, so if you have your levers/shifters butted up to your grips at present, then the levers need moving in for them to fit :)

lol, my bars are 750mm wide and I have a good 2 cm between the end of the current grips and my shifter :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    edited August 2011
    I really liked the look of the nano pedals but don't like the anodised finished at all... yet to see some in the flesh tho...

V12's aren't worth buying when you can get superstar nanos. The platform is bigger, so no more aching feet. They're much more grippy. They're thinner, they're better made, they're cheaper and they're lighter. Why anyone would buy v12s is beyond me.
    Oh, and superstar have reduced the price of nanos at the moment as well.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Also as a point DMR pedals are made of really soft cheese too.
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    I might get some of the excel grips once the canyon lockons start wearing out. I'm a big fan of the SS stuff.

they are whoppers arent they.

i cut mine down so they were regular length meaning everythign stays where it is on my bars but i benefit from the extra grip girth!

this is them compared to a normal grip
    p4pb6600626.jpg
    this is mine cut down
    p4pb6610815.jpg
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    north-sure wrote:
    Rubber wears out rapidly though... but at that price, i don't really give a f.....

yeah the bars on the back break loose but as you said........come to think of it my cube frittz grips wear alot faster than these and nearly twice the price

I've got a pair that're over a year old and are only just starting to show signs of wear where my palms touch them after being used 4-5 times a week on the commuter. Maybe I got lucky.

SS are great - can't fault any of their kit I've got (UNO headset, grips, ergo grip with bar ends, sintered pads, headset spacers and tools). Free Haribo to boot! :D
  • ilovedirt wrote:

V12's aren't worth buying when you can get superstar nanos. The platform is bigger, so no more aching feet. They're much more grippy. They're thinner, they're better made, they're cheaper and they're lighter. Why anyone would buy v12s is beyond me.
    Oh, and superstar have reduced the price of nanos at the moment as well.
    I'll have to keep them in mind for when my v12s expire then :)

If I'm honest though, I can't imagine any more grip than I get with 5:10s on the v12s, I literally cannot move my feet around on the pedals I have to lift them off to reposition so I can't see much improvement there, and I don't get achy feet so It would only be the thinness that would appeal, I've hit them off things a good few times (not sure how much real world difference 8mm will make though)...

But yes, will definitely give them a look when I'm back in the market :)
  • Hi,

I have ordered today some really bright pink superstar grips to replace my bright green ODI one's. I also like my bike to look a bit different and I probably look like a dick but hey I'm on my bike riding and enjoying it, lol.

Looking forward to trying them out this weekend riding at Bedgebury in Kent.

Also ordered some of there sintered brake pads which were also very cheap to replace my previous £20 per set which are now worn out.

I will report back.

:D
  • Well all I can say is that they were well worth the 7.99. Brake pads for me next too.