SRAM Red shifter woes - Missing E Clip

markc1984
markc1984 Posts: 44
edited August 2011 in Workshop
Hi all,
I was wondering whether anybody could render assistance in finding a replacement 'E Clip' for the inside part of my right hand side SRAM Red lever to stop the gear shifter from sticking. It's hard to explain but basically it's relating to an armature and short bar that sits inside the main ratchet mechanism and is a crucial part of the whole mechanism for allowing the gears to change. A pin with a tapered edge slides through a hole on the other end of the arm and slots through the other side of a metal plate attached to the bottom of the gear lever, the pin has a machined slot which the E Clip slides on and fastens to and keeps this part in place while it rotates.

Basically this E Clip has somehow been lost and broken off and as a result when a gear is changed and the armature lifts up it keeps moving outwards and prevents the cylinder from returning underneath the main mechanism to its original location. This results in a stuck lever which literally has to be forced (or to push the pin back) to return it back to its original location, basically without a clip to hold the armature in plae lever isn't usable.

SRAM don't stock these clips, nor any of the the parts in question so that's a no go.

Hope what I'm describing makes sense, I've supplied some photos to give you a better idea of what I mean, sorry about the bad pics by the way, best I could do!

6079564446_3ebd683fc1_b_d.jpg
6079035285_17eed63c09_b_d.jpg
6079580192_d41020616e_z_d.jpg[/img]

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Jebus! What's the point of an exploded diagram if they don't supply the parts?????
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I suppose the dangerous option is to take the one out of the other lever and see if an engineering firm could fashion a replacement for you (presumably a mirror image?)
  • MickTup
    MickTup Posts: 159
    You could try a local bearing supplier who will also do cir-clips O-rings & e-clips etc. I would suspect it’s a standard size which they could probably get for you.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    keef66 wrote:
    Jebus! What's the point of an exploded diagram if they don't supply the parts?????

Who knows, Shmano are the same - shifters are non-serviceable items, I hope I don't regret getting SRAM on my latest bike in place of campag I've had up until now - Ergos are of course repairable.
  • How old are the shifters? If a nuder 2 years, should be under warranty. Bit of a pain, but send them back to be fixed/replaced. Doesn't matter how small the part is.
  • Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies. Went to a hobby shop today and obtained an E Clip similar in size to the shaft size of the the armature in question, the shaft is imperial (guessing because SRAM are US based!!) so width and thickness are slightly different to the metric E Clip supplied. Had to reshape it a bit with a pair of pliers, fitted it but there was too much vertical play in the mechanism so was still jamming, had to bend each side of the clip opposite to each other so it fitted the full height of the groove. The lever now operates without jamming! So now very happy. Would still like to try and obtain the right clip eventually as I have a feeling the current one won't last too long, fingers crossed that won't be the case though.

If anyone else is suffering from jamming levers (especially from SRAM!) then this may be something to check on.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    it's worth asking lbs if they have a broken shifter in their workshop parts box that has a clip, old broken bits are often kept as a source of spares

also try posting on the wanted forum

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... hp?f=40048

and of coure ebay, fyi there's one there now...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sram-Red-Righ ... 500wt_1102

...might be worth whacking in a ninja bid for a couple of quid extra at the last moment
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Mootsboy
    Mootsboy Posts: 10
    Hi

Metric and imperial e-clips can be purchased from www.springfasteners.co.uk
    The cost is from £3-£5 for 50 depending on the size you require.
    Cheers. :D