University Bike Storage! Help!

charlieevans93
charlieevans93 Posts: 10
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
I am going to university next month, and to be honest the last thing I wanna do is leave my Boardman Carbon with upgrades in the lock ups there.

I really hope to join the club at uni, and wondered if anyone else had this experience? and what they did to store their bike safely. Thinking the best idea is to keep it in the room, in a bike bag.

Comments

• paulus69
    paulus69 Posts: 160
    The best bet is to speak to your uni, some will have decent covered bike sheds with a lock to get in (plus the lock on your bike), others will simply have sheffield stands.

Your room will most likely be quite small so your bike is going to take up some much needed room if you keep it there.

I work at a college and we have a cycle to work scheme which under some grant resulted in us getting some really good bike shelters; they protect bikes from the elements, these are transparent so anyone tampering is easily seen, you need to pay a deposit to get a key (so theres a limited number of users). Maybe your university will have something like that.

Don't forget universitys regulary have security and CCTV around student accomodation.

Failing that buy a trax from halfords and if it does get stoeln then you've made the theifs life an embaressing misery!
    Me on Strava
    My cycling blog
    Specialized Secteur 2012 / Carrera Vulcan v-spec
  • Penfold06
    Penfold06 Posts: 161
    Im in exactly the same situation! Iv heard its something like 1 in 5 people have something stolen from them whilst at university and I just know my nice carbon framed road bike will be the first thing to go. I too have thought about keeping it in my room, could even get some kind of wall mount to keep it out of the way, but according to the accomadation rules bikes are "under no circamstances to be taken in halls of residence".

Think the best bet is just to see what my options are when I get there. I guess as long as it will be sheltered from the elements and I get some insurance cover it will be ok. I still plan on getting a cheap fixed gear bike just for getting around on. Which uni are you going to?
  • I had the same problem when i started uni a few years ago. I assume as your a 1st year student you'll be in halls of residence and in my experience you really don't have many options. We had a sheltered bike lock-up outside but anyone could use it without needing a key etc. Yes it had CCTV and was quite visible but that wouldn't stop someone accidentally dropping a bike and damaging a carbon frame.

No bikes were allowed in rooms or to be locked up anywhere else apart from the shelter. In the end i didn't bother taking my bike until 2nd year when i lived off campus in a house with mates.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    What do the cycling club at your "uni" recommend. Do they have a club storage area?
    If they dont, then pick up a cheap used racer that is good enough and can also get you around town.