Which jockey wheel is which?

skinnypunter
skinnypunter Posts: 144
edited August 2011 in Workshop
I decided to de-crud my old commuter hybrid today after _many_ years of neglect. We're talking an operation which looks more like a Time Team dig than bike maintenance. Not sure how I let it get to this state - my road and MTB bikes get a thorough cleaning after pretty much any excursion from the garage!

Like a prize pillock, I wasn't paying attention to the rear derailleur setup when I dismantled it - so, who can tell me which jockey wheel goes at the top, and which at the bottom? I have one thick and one thin... They are from an old Altus groupset, if that helps.

Ta
Ed

Comments

• I think the thicker one goes at the top

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 609137.pdf
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I Arthur has the correct exploded diagram, the top jockey wheel has fewer teeth than the bottom one.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Nowadays the jockey wheels seem to have "upper" and "lower" marked on them. I didn't see it on mine until I was told this and looked hard...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    skinnypunter
    depending which Altus mech it is. there is the "big" wheel ones above and also the small Wheel version.

the G wheel ( normally marked on the side) is the one closest to the cassette.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    nicklouse wrote:
    the G wheel ( normally marked on the side) is the one closest to the cassette.

Yeah, the top one is the guide pulley and usually has 'Centeron G' or similar moulded on it.