BB spacer, front mech....

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My friend asked me to change his XT Hollow tech II BB, i replaced it in the same way regarding the spacers, 2 on drive side and one non drive as per old set up, originally he had problems with his front mech, setting it up etc, i took a look at the mech and went about setting it up as per park tools guide, but with the L limit screw wound right in the back of the front mech still has a huge gap.

can i take a spacer out of the drive side and place it on the non drive side without affecting the integrity of the BB or anything else?
I believe doing so would sort the mech gap distance problem, also he tells me to get it working the way he had it he had to wind out the adjuster till mech was lined up but it made his shifter a bit stiff, i assume as it was under load on the granny ring position

cheers
scottt

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the bike? make/model and year?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • its a 2009 gt zaskar elite
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What is the BB shell width?
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    The simple answer is yes, you can change the position of the spacers to improve chainline and shifting performance.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mister p wrote:
    The simple answer is yes, you can change the position of the spacers to improve chainline and shifting performance.
    Except, you shouldn't have to. And doing so, on a 68mm setup, can lead to the granny ring and bolts grinding away at your frame.

Has the chainset been knocked home properly? sometimes it needs a kick or a slap with a rubber mallet.
  • mister p wrote:
    Except, you shouldn't have to. And doing so, on a 68mm setup, can lead to the granny ring and bolts grinding away at your frame.

Has the chainset been knocked home properly? sometimes it needs a kick or a slap with a rubber mallet.

yes its all in as far as can be, im wondering who ever set up his XT crank and BB, set it up wrong.

so basically i can take just one spacer out, stick it on tother side and chech that nothing is in harms way, if i have sufficient tollerences then i can do what im thinking?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if the shell is 68mm yes. but if it worked before I would look at your set up/fitting etc first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    if the shell is 68mm yes. but if it worked before I would look at your set up/fitting etc first.

no the front mech has always been a problem he says, i will meassure the width when i see him again,

cheers