Which mini pump does anyone reccomend?

alanholden
alanholden Posts: 53
edited August 2011 in Road beginners
I have been cycling for about 6 months now and recently had to borrow a pump at the roadside. I want to get my own pump but funds are limited and I don't want to waste money. What would you reccomend? Thanks
Ribble R872
Giant OCR 0T-Full Ultegra-ish

Comments

• parsons1927
    parsons1927 Posts: 31
    edited August 2011
    I've got this and it works fine and can get a good pressure in your tyres.

Topeak Race rocket

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47015
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Lezyne - one of the few worth considering. Many mini pumps are best described as bike ornaments rather than serve a useful purpose like getting pressure above 60psi without requiring the forearms of Popeye and the patience of a saint!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I've Specialized mini pump

It works fine.

Mind you. I've only used it a handfull of times to get me home.

Always use a track pump to get tyres to the correct pressure
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • +1 for Lezyne. Looks good and can pump the tyres up very well. Had to use mine recently after only 15 miles of a 90 mile ride. Got the tyre back up to a good pressure to complete the rest of the ride without problem.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check prices for the Lezyne's
    Ribble R872
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I use a Lezyne Mini Drive. It's okay to 100psi without too much effort but it struggles to get much more than that.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure ... ump-small/

I've heard that the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive pumps are very good at getting decent pressures. I'm not sre how large they are though - I prefer something that fits in the jersey.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-fl ... ith-gauge/
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Topeak Road Morph, not really mini, but pretty easily able to get tyres to 120psi...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited August 2011
    I have the Lezyne Road Drive in small and medium. I found that the medium didn't really get the tyres back up to pressure properly (I struggled to get it any where near 100PSI), whereas the large is much better.

I was out on a club ride the other week and borrowed a chap's Topeak pump to give it a go. It was like a mini track pump and had a gauge as well. Now that really was good, shame I had to give it back. Not sure what model it was or the cost.

[Edit: I got the sizes of the pumps wrong initially, quoting small/medium but have corrected the text to read medium/large]
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Topeak Road Morph, not really mini, but pretty easily able to get tyres to 120psi...

+1 - used mine just today and really like it - especially the little gauge and the track pump style use. Lezynes with the screw-on tube I've always had issues with it unscrewing the vavle when you remove it. Yes, I know that there are ways around this but it's an issue that other pumps don't have so I don't even need to think about it.

I also have the Blackburn Airstick SL - it's near to being completely useless but I do use it for the (56 pumps that it takes) mini inflation prior to fitting an innertube. After that it's gas cannisters all the way....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Broaders
    Broaders Posts: 89
    Cycling plus have an artcle on pumps this month I think!
    Boardman AIR 9.8, Zipp 303 Clinchers, SRAM red groupset.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I was out on a club ride the other week and borrowed a chap's Topeak pump to give it a go. It was like a mini track pump and had a gauge as well. Now that really was good, shame I had to give it back. Not sure what model it was or the cost.

That would most likely be the Topeak Road Morph... It's like a mini track pump with mini pressure guage
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Cycling plus have an artcle on pumps this month I think!
    They do indeed, winner is Lezyne Micro Floor Pump, runners up Lezyne Pressure Drive and Zefal HPX Classic.

Cycling Plus, Sept 2011, Issue 253
  • Avezius
    Avezius Posts: 132
    I wanted an emergency pump I could have on the bike & forget - really just to get me going again rather than up to proper race pressure. Also liked the idea of a flexible hose.

Ive got a Topeak race rocket.

This one actually fits inside a topeak medium wedge saddlebag, alongside pucture repair kit & a couple of inner tubes (but not a lot else!!!). Keeps it clean & usable when you do end up using it & doesnt have to be on my frame.

Now used it a few times out & about (unfortunately) - got tyres up to over 75psi without a massive amount of effort - plenty to get home. I think you could probably push in a little more if you really wanted to but it gets hard to push over this.

well worth considering if you want something small.[/u]
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    I've Specialized mini pump

It works fine.

Mind you. I've only used it a handfull of times to get me home.
    I've had much the same experience with the Spesh Airtool Mini . Not a bad pump but has all the usual problems associated with mini pumps, not an issue for me as I use Co2 and only have a pump for emergencies. I seriously doubt it could get anywhere near 100 psi and even getting to a reasonable pressure takes absolute ages, but then it's tiny and light so I should of expected that :lol:
  • Topeak Pocket Rocket Masterblaster. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=53680 I love mine!
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    +1 for the Lezyne Road Drive. Small but very efficient. Excellent quality.
  • Thanks for all of the responses. I'm still looking into all of the pumps suggested.
    Ribble R872
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    One of the big benefits of the Lezyne is that they have a hose. Removes the problem of damaging the valve as you pump.
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    I have a 6 year old Topeak Master Blaster Mini DX

Has never let me down and works a treat. Just like any mini pump, it takes a fair few pumps to hit 100 psi, fits next to the water bottle cage and works a charm.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    ellieb wrote:
    One of the big benefits of the Lezyne is that they have a hose. Removes the problem of damaging the valve as you pump.

As does the Road Morph (but without the valve unscrewing "issues"), and a gauge, and trackpump stylee operation
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH