Please save my Garmin

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
As many of you have noticed no doubt, it's been a bit damp this summer. And my Garmin (705 edge) doesn't like it. A couple of months ago it refused to turn back on and so I put it in a sealed bag with some rice for 24 hours (on the advice of my BiL) and it dried out and all was fine.

It did the same conking out thing this Tuesday (after only a 40 min ride to work). I've left it for 24 hours with rice. No luck. It still won't work.

Leaving aside the absolute WTF that Garmin make a product that doesn't like rain for people who live in the UK, what can I do? I can't afford a new one (this one was a gift already - I would never have been able to afford it in the first place!).

All advice very very welcome. It's currently sitting on the windowsill in the sun.

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    can you open them up and look at the battery points? bit of corrosion on the contacts might stop play?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Send it back to Garmin if still in warranty they should replace it, if not there is a one off fee for new (refurbished) unit. My Edge 305 cost £68 for replacement including postage after I dropped it and it broke out of warranty.

Failing when wet sounds like a faulty seal or something which should be covered by warranty.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    --
    Chris

• I think it's possible - there are screws - but I'd better check with Garmin that this doesn't invalidate stuff (it's out of guarantee but I feel sure that if I sent it back for repair after I'd had a bash they'd refused to touch it).
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Send it back to Garmin if still in warranty they should replace it, if not there is a one off fee for new (refurbished) unit. My Edge 305 cost £68 for replacement including postage after I dropped it and it broke out of warranty.

Failing when wet sounds like a faulty seal or something which should be covered by warranty.

It's more than a year old - about 15 months - so out of warranty I assume (couldn't get that link to work I'm afraid).
  • sketchley
    I think it's possible - there are screws - but I'd better check with Garmin that this doesn't invalidate stuff (it's out of guarantee but I feel sure that if I sent it back for repair after I'd had a bash they'd refused to touch it).

Far from it, their out of warranty replacement is really good. I told them I'd dropped mine several times and now it was broken very broken, no problem flat fee replacement.....
    --
    Chris

• Cool. Good to know Sketchley. I have emailed Garmin to see what they suggest I do.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I think that's the route to go. Sounds like a manufacturing fault. Mine's over 3 years old and was waterproof until the rubber covering the joystick came off. It's still pretty good though; I've only had one incident like you describe in the OP
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited August 2011
    I dropped my 310xt and cracked the screen in April. Warranty refurb replacement was £117.50 (pre vat increase) so the refurb costs might be different for different units.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sketchley
    Sketchley wrote:

It's more than a year old - about 15 months - so out of warranty I assume (couldn't get that link to work I'm afraid).

Here's what is says.

Non-Aviation Limited Warranty

All Garmin products are warranted to be free from defects in materials or workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. Within this period, Garmin International, Inc. will, at its sole option, repair or replace any components which fail in normal use. Such repairs or replacement will be made at no charge to the customer for parts or labor, provided that the customer shall be responsible for any transportation cost. This warranty does not cover failures due to abuse, misuse, accident or unauthorized alterations or repairs.

Note: Repairs have a 90 day warranty. If the unit sent in is still under its original warranty, then the new warranty is 90 days or to the end of the original one year warranty, depending upon which is longer.

THE WARRANTIES AND REMEDIES CONTAINED HEREIN ARE EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING ANY LIABILITY ARISING UNDER ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, WHICH MAY VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.

IN NO EVENT SHALL GARMIN BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER RESULTING FROM THE USE, MISUSE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCT OR FROM DEFECTS IN THE PRODUCT. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

Garmin retains the exclusive right to repair or replace the product or offer a full refund of the purchase price at its sole discretion. SUCH REMEDY SHALL BE YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY BREACH OF WARRANTY.
    Procedure for Claims Under Non-Aviation Limited Warranties

To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer may be required. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification, and Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction. Garmin retains the exclusive right to either repair or replace the unit with a "newly-overhauled" (NOH) unit or new unit at its sole discretion. The same policy shall apply to software.
    Please complete these two easy steps:

1. Contact Garmin Product Support to receive an RMA number

Call or e-mail a Garmin Product Support to describe the problem and request a return material authorization (RMA) number. You will need to provide the unit's serial number (if applicable), your return shipping address, a daytime phone number and an email address.

Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 17:30 PM Western European Time (GMT/UTC)
    Phone (freephone from UK landline): 0808 238 0000
    Phone (within UK): 0870 850 1242
    Phone (outside UK): +44 870 850 1242

E-mail: Tech Support

2. Ship the unit, along with the RMA number, to Garmin

Once you have received your RMA number, ship the unit using registered post or similar (your Garmin product is your responsibility until we receive it), writing the RMA number on the outside of the packaging and in the covering letter, to the following address:

Garmin Europe Ltd
    Liberty House
    Hounsdown Business Park
    Southampton
    Hampshire
    SO40 9LR
    --
    Chris

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - my Forerunner 305 was run over - Garmin will replace it for £50
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • sketchley
    Also phone Garmin don't e-mail they take a age to reply then simply tell you to phone them to get RMA number. If only 15 months you may have claim under sale of goods act, you could claim a unit of the quality and expense of a Garmin 705 is not fit for purpose if it suffers from water penetration after only 15 months. I'd say that it's fair and reasonable to expect it to last longer at the price you pay for them. Contact the people you purchased it from (not Garmin, unless purchased directly) to discuss a refund or replacement under SOGA. If they refer you to Garmin warranty point out you got it from them not Garmin and your contract of sale (as per SOGA) is with them so they need to deal with the problem and Garmin at their expense. Note as it is more than 6 months old the it will be down to you to prove it is not fit for purpose but that shouldn't be too hard as several people on here can provide evidence that their 705's in similar conditions and time frames have not failed.
    --
    Chris

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
  • sketchley
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Hmm - do they allow for upgrades do you thiink? 605 - 705 maybe...

No I asked that very question......305 to 705 wasn't possible it's direct replace only. Not sure what happens when they run out of refurb models though.

Best bet is find someone with a broken garmin of the model you want buy it of peanuts and then out of warranty replace it.
    --
    Chris

• Direct replacement only.

My Forerunner 305 died / case split / corroded battery.

Flat repair costs were just over £50 last year.

ended up costing me nothing - I got Sweatshop to send it back even though it was 2.5 yr old and way out of warranty. I don't know whether they forgot to charge me but I wasn't going to remind them unneccesarily...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Hmm - do they allow for upgrades do you thiink? 605 - 705 maybe...

I got an upgrade on my 705 to an 800 :D I was on my third unit in 18 months, all covered under warranty FOC and my 705 died at the end of June, sent it back beginning July at their expense expecting a 10 day turnaround. After 4 weeks of nothing I phoned them and 3 days later had a call from them saying no 705 stock and no expected date, would I like an Edge 800 or wait for stock?

You need a tx5 screwdriver to take a 705 apart, batteries can be bought on Amazon for £10-15.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I've spoken to Garmin and explained that I thought it was a poor show that such an expensive item would die after only 15 months. The man said I could send it back and it would be replaced under warranty if I sent email with proof of purchase and explanation etc.

Sounding positive! Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone for the hints & tips.
  • sketchley
    I've spoken to Garmin and explained that I thought it was a poor show that such an expensive item would die after only 15 months. The man said I could send it back and it would be replaced under warranty if I sent email with proof of purchase and explanation etc.

Sounding positive! Fingers crossed. Thanks everyone for the hints & tips.

That doesn't surprise me at all. The dealing I've had with Garmin warranty in the UK have been excellent. As for that matter have Wiggle.....
    --
    Chris

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I certainly can't complain about how Garmin dealt with me. My Edge 705 started playing up in May (just before my attempted LeJOG, grr). The USB connectivity wasn't working at all- so no data in or out. It was bought off eBay (BNIB and UK stock though) so no warranty. Dropped them a line, got an RMA number, sent it off after the LeJOG...new/refurb 705 sent back, no charge :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Mine died from rain damage. Replaced so quick i didn't have a clue what the courier had brought for me.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Humn. Feeling underwhelmed by Garmin. I spoke to their customer services on Friday (26th) and was told to send an email to xx with details of problem and with proof of purchase and they would send back an RMA number.

As of today I still didn't have a reply to my mail with the RMA number. I called and after 10 mins on hold, they found my case and gave me the reference. I don't know why it took 4 days to issue the number but no apology was offered for the product breaking in the first place nor for me being without it functioning for 10 days already now and apparently another 10 (working) days before replacement will be sent.

Still, I guess I should be grateful they're replacing it at all as it's officially out of the one year guarantee period

*/ends grump.
  • My new garmin is here. YAY. I only sent it off a week ago so that was definitely the quickest part of the process.
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
    My Garmin 800 died last night whilst out on a training ride.
    18 months old, just flicked off and gave up the ghost, couldnt power it back on and it was about 95% charged.

Phoned Garmin this morning, they want me to pay £119.14 for a replacement as its out of warranty.

Tbh, I think thats a bit of a p1ss take. Its 18 months old. Surely something that you pay £400 for (well it was when I bought it) should be lasting a damn site longer than 18 months, no?

So done a bit of digging about this morning. EU directive 1999/44/EC says that a 2 year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer products everywhere in the EU. So am going to try that. Why the hell should I pay them more money for something that should still be working through no fault of my own?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Good luck - tried that with Amazon when my son's Kindle died, even wrote to the credit card company - neither interested despite it being within a 18 months old. Won't be buying another Kindle despite the £60 replacement offer.
  • sketchley
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    My Garmin 800 died last night whilst out on a training ride.
    18 months old, just flicked off and gave up the ghost, couldnt power it back on and it was about 95% charged.

Phoned Garmin this morning, they want me to pay £119.14 for a replacement as its out of warranty.

Tbh, I think thats a bit of a p1ss take. Its 18 months old. Surely something that you pay £400 for (well it was when I bought it) should be lasting a damn site longer than 18 months, no?

So done a bit of digging about this morning. EU directive 1999/44/EC says that a 2 year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer products everywhere in the EU. So am going to try that. Why the hell should I pay them more money for something that should still be working through no fault of my own?

It shouldn't fail inside 18 months and you should expect a top of the range product to last longer than that.

Your Garmin Warranty is for one year they have no obligation to fix it outside of the warranty period for free so are completely correct in charging you £119.14 for a replacement should you go via them.

However you have a contract of sale with the retailer who sold it to you (note not garmin) and that is covered by the sale of goods act in the UK (sorry no nothing about the EU Directive but I suspect it relates to the sale by the retailer not the warranty provided by manufacturer). In short get on to the people you brought it from explain to them that it is entirely reasonable to expect a top of range bike computer to last longer than 18 month and will they therefor replace / repair for free? Ask them nicely first and see how they react don't go quoting laws etc as it will get thier backs up, if you get nowhere start mentioning the Sale of Goods Act to them, if that doesn't work then it's small claims court (rememeber this is all against the retailer and not Garmin). Of course if you brought it cheap via the internet using an off shore distributor then you may have very little redress via the sale of goods act.
    --
    Chris

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    My Garmin 500 has been fine, it's been out in the rain, it's been spat on a lot (somehow when I spit when I'm out on the bike, I always seem to hit the Garmin...) and it has been fine, except once, when I had a puncture I laid the bike down whilst I fixed it and when I picked it up, there was a small amount of condensation the inside of the screen.... It dried out v quickly and hasn't come back since but it was a bit surprising, the weather was sunny! I tried to open it up at home to let it dry out but the screws are not standard, they're like funny shaped little allen key bolts...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My Garmin 500 has been fine, it's been out in the rain, it's been spat on a lot (somehow when I spit when I'm out on the bike, I always seem to hit the Garmin...) and it has been fine, except once, when I had a puncture I laid the bike down whilst I fixed it and when I picked it up, there was a small amount of condensation the inside of the screen.... It dried out v quickly and hasn't come back since but it was a bit surprising, the weather was sunny! I tried to open it up at home to let it dry out but the screws are not standard, they're like funny shaped little allen key bolts...

Torx
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter