Can anyone advise me about organizing a charity ride?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hello! I'm relatively new here, so please excuse me if this is in the wrong forum

I recently did a very small-scale ride from London Zoo (well, Regents Park - the Zoo was closed when we set off) to Whipsnade Zoo to raise money for ZSL, and we'd all like to try it again next year, probably on a larger scale. Has anyone else here organized anything like this? And incidentally, when it's all set up, which forum should I be posting a "come and join this ride" notice on? All advice gratefully received.
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Please tell us what zsl is, to avoid us looking it up, if you want us to make contributions. :wink:
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    http://www.zsl.org/

Zoological Society London

"The Zoological Society of London (ZSL) is a charity devoted to the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats"

One of the biggest problems I've had with organising charity rides is getting the insurance sorted out.............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    A professional fundraiser for a charity that I know used Bike Events to organise her event. They do all the hard work but do take a big cut of the entry fee.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Thanks for the help so far! Getting someone else to do all the hard work sounds awfully tempting, I might give Bike Events a call and see what they say. The point about insurance is well made - compensation culture means that you need it and it's expensive!

De Sisti - that's very kind of you to sound like you're offering, although I really came here after expert advice, rather than sponsors. On the other hand, I have no shame or social graces so here's the link for contributions:

http://www.justgiving.com/teams/Zoovols

On a related note, does London Zoo - Whipsnade Zoo sound like the sort of ride any of you would go in for?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er