Apps, Andriod or Iphone

samivel
samivel Posts: 81
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I have had a look across the forum, and couldn't see this but apologises if it has. Let me know if you want me to add any more
Samivel

Black Allez, FCN 5, will always try to say hello.
Normal commute - Eltham, Greenwich, London Bridge

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Tried Endomondo and My Tracks, neither were particularly good. GPS just seems pretty patchy / inaccurate as to where I've been. Total distance / time ends up okish usually but speeds for different sections are just rubbish. It might be my phone? It's a Galaxy S.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • If you're getting a good GPS signal it should be possible to resolve you down to around 2m and have it updating at a rate which allows for very accurate speeds. The downside of this is that it kills the battery.

The trick is to work out what your speed is, what resolution is needed and estimate your position and optimise the frequency of GPS position requests.

This is really what makes the difference between the sports tracking style applications and so far I don't think any of them have got them quite right.

I'm writing a cycling GPS routine at the moment (ignoring all other sports) and I'm looking at using the compass and acceleromaters to help make decisions regarding position. i.e. if I know you were going at 20mph and ave measured no significant change in acceleration/deaccelertion then any positining update which says that 1s later you are stopped or doing 40mph is suspect. Likewise a sharp turn at 15mph which isn't baked up by the compass is suspect.
    --
    FCN 9
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I like Endomondo and Mytracks, Endomondo logs online better but you get more data on My tracks like max incline.

Neither is perfect, I need a garmin.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    pangolin wrote:
    Tried Endomondo and My Tracks, neither were particularly good. GPS just seems pretty patchy / inaccurate as to where I've been. Total distance / time ends up okish usually but speeds for different sections are just rubbish. It might be my phone? It's a Galaxy S.

Tried Endomondo on my Atrix and found the same.

Total distance, and therefore speed, were well out, but in a good way (longer distance and faster speed) so may stick with it!!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    I've got MyTracks, so might give it a try tonight and compare to my Forerunner 205 data.

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've found that the accuracy of Endomondo is much better on my new HTC Sensation than on the old HTC Touch HD - maybe it's the hardware?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Is it possible to use a HTC with mapmyride.com?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Cyclemeter (iPhone) works fine for me; happy to see my commute time fall by 20% when switching from MTB to road.
  • Kieran_Burns
    cjcp wrote:

Yep.

Available for android and just installed it to see what it's like.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Just to add to your list - I believe Sportstracker (ex-Nokia app) is available on droid and IPhone now. I like it on my Nokia but can't comment on the android version.
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

Yep.

Ok, next questions: how does it work? Do you leave your GPS function thingy on while riding and how does the data from your HTC appear as a ride on mapmyride? Do you attach to HTC to the laptop, so the info automatically downloads?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Orux Maps is brilliant; massive choice of freely downloadable maps (including OS 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 in UK), plus the ability to suck maps off the web in real time if you end up somewhere unplanned.

You can export the track direct from the phone to MapMyRide (though I've never actually done it myself)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Kieran_Burns
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Yep.

Ok, next questions: how does it work? Do you leave your GPS function thingy on while riding and how does the data from your HTC appear as a ride on mapmyride? Do you attach to HTC to the laptop, so the info automatically downloads?

Presumably the same as Endomondo - it uploads via the web when you end the ride
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I use Cardiotrainer on a HTC desire. It's ok.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • cjcp
    Okey doke. Cheers
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Can anyone recommend a stem mount for a HTC?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    Don't think any beat this.

http://www.sports-tracker.com/

After a double shot of NUUN Cola Caffeine I was still beating personal bests last night a year after getting the app.

There's nothing it doesn't do.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Not sure if it's on Android, but the App store have MotionX-GPS. There's a free trial version as well (although the full app is only £2).

Very detailed analysis of average speed & height per minute, plus overall incline %age, top speed etc..

Mapping has Road, Terrain, Satellite, Hybrid and Marine (not so useful on the commute - but looking outside may be good on the way home). In built up areas, it even has what companies are in what building - very useful for me.

You can also pre-download journeys/maps when you have a signal, so if your signal is patchy you still have all the detail.

It also has the ability to upload onto Facebook/Twitter/Email.

But burns your battery massively..
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • FoldingJoe
    I've found that the accuracy of Endomondo is much better on my new HTC Sensation than on the old HTC Touch HD - maybe it's the hardware?

I'd have thought my Atrix would have been up to the job, but there you go.

• cjcp wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a stem mount for a HTC?
    I just got one of these for use with my Moto Milestone:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360376320271#ht_3010wt_1071

Works amazingly well for the price, if your phone is iPhone-ish sized it'll fit fine. Good adjustability for viewing angle too.

I've been using MyTracks + KeepScreen to stop the screen from going off. Works well, but I need to find a way to lock the screen orientation as bumps in the road often flip the screen for a bit.
  • cjcp
    Cheers.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cardio Trainer for Android, better than anything else!