Rear Hub Fix - Bearings and Dust Cover

yenkee
yenkee Posts: 27
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Got myself a second hand mountain bike as bit of a project, managed to get it very cheap as the previous owner thought the rear axle was snapped. Turned out that the cone bearing was loose and needed repacking.

On dismantling the rear hub I found the following:
24082011410.jpg

This was on the on the drive side between the freewheel and hub. Looks to me like the remanence of a dust cover. I've never taken a rear hub apart so not sure if they usually have one on the drive side. Does anyone who whether this is right? If so, where would be the best place to find a replacement as 'googling' doesn't come up with much.

Also, when removing the bearings, after cleaning and counting up I was left with 19 bearings. This was slightly confusing as I expected an even number as to have the same on each side. Does anyone know how many should be in a rear hub? The Hubs are Quando branded if that helps?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep looks like a dust cover.

yes bearings are in even numbers. Most rear hubs use 9 1/4" balls on each side so it sounds like someone has tried a fix.

where from> try your LBS as you will have fun having finding one online.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown