What bike would you reccommend??

okeydokey79
okeydokey79 Posts: 89
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Hi guys and dolls just joined the site as been looking for advice on what bike to ride next. have just ordered my halfords c2w scheme vouchers £450 and I'm looking for a hybrid bike for travelling to work but also i ride a bit on my days off mayb round a 20mile ride every other day.I am currently looking at the trek 7.2 fx 2012 as i can get this from leisure lakes bikes and all the reviews i can find on the 2011 seem to be all ok, but before my vochers arrive i was just wondering if there was anything else i could throw into the mix. thanks in advance

Matt

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hi Matt,

I think it depends on what type of riding you want to do on your days off and whether you think you'll be increasing your mileage on those trips soon. If so, have you considered a road bike? It'll be quicker than a hybrid and I find the variety of hand positions offered by the bars on a road bike more comfortable on longer rides than a flat-barred bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which scheme, where can you buy from?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wasnt sure whether i was ready for a road bike quite yet, have looked at a few but keep getting drawn back to hybrid, unsure about having drop handle bars has ive never ridden a road bike only mountain bikes, and most of the road bikes only have 16 speed so dont know whether my legs would cope lol, its the halfords c2w scheme can buy from them and leisure lake bikes.
  • i know halfords have got some good deals on for the carrera virtuoso at the moment. a silly question but what about the tyres i am use to my mountain bike tyres what kindda grip do u get with the thinner raod tyres? that's another reason for looking at hybrid slighlty bigger tyres or am i worries about nothing because i cycle in all weather wet or dry? would use the mountain bike in the snow though.
  • in the dry roadie tyres are very good indeed, soft compounds stick well to the road.

if your used to disk brakes on MTB's roadie brakes are a bit of a step back, partially once wet.

But road bikes are fun to ride if it's a combined fun plus commute worth having a look and test ride on one?
  • cjcp
    i know halfords have got some good deals on for the carrera virtuoso at the moment. a silly question but what about the tyres i am use to my mountain bike tyres what kindda grip do u get with the thinner raod tyres? that's another reason for looking at hybrid slighlty bigger tyres or am i worries about nothing because i cycle in all weather wet or dry? would use the mountain bike in the snow though.

You'll quickly get used to riding a road bike - the drop bars are not as odd as they look. You can actually achieve a more natural (IMO) position for your wrists and hands by riding on the hoods than you can on a flat-bar bike.

And don't worry about thinner tyres. How much grip you have often depends on the when you have slicks or nobbly tyres, and the type of rubber compound used for the tyre e.g. my wider, Spesh Armadillo mtb tyres have less grip than by 23mm Schwalble Duranos (or indeed any 23mm tyre I've ever used), particularly in the wet. I'm much more cautious cornering on my mtb than my road bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ok think i'm goin have a better think about what i want from the bike, i may want to up my mileage past the 20mile mark so may need go have a look at the raod bike in halfords and c how i measure up :D better start looking at the reviews
  • If the bike will be used for commuting and if you would like to commute quite a lot:-

a) A bike that can take full length mudguards.
    b) A bike that can take a rack.
  • i use my mountain bike for all of my rides and commuting at the moment it has mudguards but no rack, leave stuff i need for work at work and use my rucksack :D just been in halfords and like the look of the tdf so got that on the list as a decent entry level road bike and just going look at the new trek 7.2 fx 2morrow just to see how it feels lol
  • I had the same and ended up with a CX bike a spez tricross.
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg
  • I just got my new bike yesterday. mines for the commute which is 7 miles each way and hope to get some 40-50 mile leisure rides in at weekends. I've gone for the Boardman Team Hybrid. £750 it seems to suit my style of riding better than my roadbike as I seem to achieve a higher average speed.

Took it out for my first test ride last night and managed to overtake a scooter down hill. Comfortable riding position with a very sturdy frame that lets you get the power down well.
    Commuter: Boardman Hybrid Team 2011
  • yeah looked at the boardman bikes range all very nice but 2much money for me at the moment but if i get the road bug and start do more rides then may have look in a year or 2 to upgrading again :?
  • cjcp
    Might be worth looking in the Classifieds section.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."