Why bib tights?

Gizmodo
Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
edited September 2011 in Road beginners
I'm a complete newbie to cycling (44 years old and trying to get fit after my 2nd round of chemotherapy). I'm happy with padded shorts and I've even bought the padded tights.

But what is the advantage or reason for "bib tights"?

Colin

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    edited August 2011
    Welcome!

Do a search- has been discussed to death, but essentially bibs are better as they are more comfy and dont dig in at the waist / fall down. I wouldn't wear anything else.

Dhb brand (Wiggle.co.uk) generally come out best in terms of cost-effective performance. I wear Pearl Izumi ones, but when I buy my next pair, it'll be dhb's
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    the waist on normal shorts can be tight and uncomfortable so bib shorts are held up by the shoulder straps, not an elasticated waist
  • Its a good question, I have never worn any before, recently purchased these thanks to a thread on here...

http://www.mandmdirect.com/products-adi ... AD8244.htm

Going to try them out Thursday on a 35mile ride, I am hoping they are not as warm as my Altura baggies.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    I also noticed you get a lot less draught on your lower back, with the wind we keep getting is a big plus :)
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Also to mention, bibs are also much better because the padding doesn't slide around due it being held in place at the shoulders rather than at the waist, which is often moving about. Believe me, one ride with the shorts sliding around is enough to convince you! Your rear will love you.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    When you bend forward on the bike, your midriff/lower back is quite exposed - a bib tight gives you extra warmth without any restriction. Before bibtights we wore regular tights with clip-on elastic braces which was a right old faff.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    My, you're an old dog :D
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    If you're talking tights then you're talking cold, and a nice warm lower back is the biggest advantage for me!

There's the waistband comfort thing as well, but the 'ooh, this is why' moment for me with bib tights was the lack of a draught at the back.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    It's the nearest thing to a mankini, without wearing a mankini............ that's my excuse anyway !!! :wink: 8)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Going to try them out Thursday on a 35mile ride, I am hoping they are not as warm as my Altura baggies.

Tights in August? I might consider 3/4 length (baggies or lycra) on a wet evening at this time of year, but anything more seems over kill...

And to the OP: they're awesome in winter, very comfortable and the coverage around lower back and belly has kept me cosy in some pretty miserable weather. (These are "Roubaix" fabric mind, a soft brushed texture on the inside - I've never worn any that are the same fabric as shorts)
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I only ever wore shorts until about a year ago when I bought my 1st bibshorts. Bibshorts are comfortable enough but I don't really find them the next best thing to sliced bread or anything! The advantages are that they insulate slightly against wind around the belly and lower back and if your jersey gets pulled up, you don't end up with an exposed section of bare back but they are a PITA to go for a wee in, you basically have to get naked just to take a leak! I have never realy found that shorts dig in that much.... Personally I can go with either shorts or bibs, whichever comes to hand 1st....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I made the mistake of thinking it was cold enough for bibtights last night. Mine are the DHB Merstons which are a roubaix type fabric and good enough to keep me warm when temps are below freezing.

I only managed 7 miles before I had to give up because I was poached.

I must get some leg warmers for this in-between weather evening stuff!
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Gizmodo wrote:
    I'm a complete newbie to cycling (44 years old and trying to get fit after my 2nd round of chemotherapy). I'm happy with padded shorts and I've even bought the padded tights.

But what is the advantage or reason for "bib tights"?

Colin

Best of all is telling the family what you're about to buy. Expect jibes about a Borat "mankini" and kids saying "You're not going out dressed like that Dad". Priceless! :D

Good luck with the recovery.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I was told by the missus that my bib tights were a leotard! She got corrected swiftly!
  • they are a PITA to go for a wee in

:? Just pull them down at the front. Easy. PITA if you need the to empty the rear carriage, but I don't ever have that problem.
    keef66 wrote:
    I must get some leg warmers for this in-between weather evening stuff!

Man up you big baby. It's not even knee warmer weather yet (assuming you're in the UK).
  • zedcor
    zedcor Posts: 10
    Many years ago we used to use a pair of braces to keep our waist high tights up. Bib tights are my preference these days. :lol:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Man up you big baby. It's not even knee warmer weather yet (assuming you're in the UK)"

I have sensitive knees!

OK, I would probably have been fine in my shorts last night. I panicked when I saw it was dark!
  • keef66 wrote:
    I have sensitive knees!

:lol:
  • Bib-shorts are great but eye-wateringly overpriced - it's like they just pick the numbers out of thin air.

Gore and Craft are decent value though.
  • skdotcom
    skdotcom Posts: 56
    No-one has mentioned the main disadvantage yet - ie going for a pee!
    Specialized Sequoia Expert Gravel Bike
    Ribble CGR SL di2 12spd Gravel Bike
    Planet X Spitfire Titanium Road Bike
    Dawes Super Galaxy Tandem
    Boardman Hybrid Team
    Raleigh Equipe Fixie
    Kona Dew Drop
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    skdotcom wrote:
    No problem at all, assuming you're male - pull the front down. Assos Roubaix tights have a zip on the front to ease this process (and so allow them to be cut higher and warmer around the midriff), but it can be done with most brands.
  • As far as peeing, it only takes 1 second to pull the stretchy material down, and get yourself out for a slash. No problems at all, or complaints from me.

Going for a number 2 is a problem, as you have to take everything off, but i've never had to go for one while on a ride.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The trick is to ease the straps off your shoulders(under the jersey) allowing a vital, extra amount of 'wriggle room' :wink:

BTW roubaix tights are the DB but not yet, plenty of good weather still to be had in this country. Not neccessarily in another country, like Scotland for example :)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • For chrissakes it's simple, if I'm following you I don't want to see your Ar*se crack.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited August 2011
    skdotcom wrote:

Apart from those before you who mentioned the main disadvantage being when you need a pee you mean? :wink:
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    because you look like a wrestler when getting ready in the morning :o)
  • Secteur wrote:
    Dhb brand (Wiggle.co.uk) generally come out best in terms of cost-effective performance. I wear Pearl Izumi ones, but when I buy my next pair, it'll be dhb's

Just bought my first pair of DHB bibs - utter gash! They are relatively decent value, sure, but beyond that they have nothing going for them. I bought their basic ones and so I cannot comment on all of their products, but in future I think I will invest in quality.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I like my bibs because they accommodate my beer gut in a more flattering manner than ordinary shorts. Somehow the love handles seem to be tucked away a bit better.

Sorry, but you did ask!!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Sorry for the long winded post and for hijacking this thread.

Should the straps on the bib shorts be very tight / tight / loose?

I have two pairs of gore bib shorts the now that I have ordered from evans cycle, I will be returning what ever pair doesn't fit me.

I am 5'9.5 and 13 stone 10 lbs, I am still losing weight, was 16 stone 7 lbs in January and I am hoping to get down to 12 stone something by the time I finish LEJOG in October.

My dilemma is, the large fit me well on the leg front, good compression but the straps feel just a little bit tight (Standing up). The x large doesn't give me any compression in the legs but the straps are very comfortable / almost no pull at all (Standing up).

I am going to try the bib by sitting on my bike on my rollers to see if this makes any difference to how the straps feel on my shoulders.

I am veering towards the large as I feel that the more weight I loose, then the large might become a bit more comfortable.

Cheers
  • Large marky, deffo.