Why are bottom brackets becoming so fragile?

2»

Comments

• stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Brig wrote:
    The BB30 bottom bracket on my 2011 Boardman HT Pro have also gone after 3 rides, total of about 25 miles in dry conditions). Could not ride it anymore as the noise was so loud it turned peoples heads as I came riding....

I'm no expert so apologies but are you sure that it didn't make this noise cause it wasn't fitted properly from new? Sometimes they almost 'bed in' when new...a tighten up and quick check and you could get rid of the noise.
  • just too say i brought a hardrock disc model 3-4 months ago roughly. silky smooth etc. i then did a long uphill ride standing up all the way and afterwards the bike suffered clicking whilst pedaling. People said to replace the pedals which i did and so on but the actual issue turned out to be the BB.

I finally whipped it out and replaced it yesterday with a £20 jobby and god what a difference. the bike is now smooth again.

which meant my bb lasted only 500 miles!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Could have simply needed bearings whipped out, cleaned and replaced.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    My current HT2 is still going strong after 3 years.Did manage to kill an earlier one in less than 2 rides due to incorrect fitting.

All too easy to over tighten the preload............. :oops:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    johnsav wrote:
    GXP bottom bracket have never failed for me and are cheap as chips

Agreed, got GXP on my all mountain and replaced once in 3 years, ridden in all conditions, mud, rain and dry.
    Once you get the tools, replacing an external BB is a 15 minute job, so it's also the sheer convenience of DIY that's a bonus too. GXP BB cups: £20, so not expensive at all

20 Months and mine was utterly shagged
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    jon1993 wrote:
    my bb30 bottom bracket has gone after 20 miles on my new boardman pro
    why couldnt they stick to the older type that actually worked!

Because they never fitted them properly, mine went IIRC after around 300 miles, stripped it down and found that one side had 2 bearing shields and the other side had none.

Fitted some new replacement bearings (around £5) and it has been fine ever since (but i did put the bearings shields back the right way around)
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    ahhh not good i might have to just whip it off and have a quick look cant do any damage just taking the chainset off and having a look can it plus are they visable from the outside without removing the whole bottom bracket thanks
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    It cost me about a fiver for some replacement bearings on ebay, i just removed the crank, and smashed the old bearings out with an extension bar and a hammer shaped device.

I say hammer shaped device as i recently closed down my business, where i kept my tools, and i seam to have lost my hammer :lol: i actually used a heavy windy gun as a hammer :lol:

I did call into the local bike shop and ask for advice on a removal tool, but they told me they would have just whacked them out with an extension bar and a hammer :?

I lovingly used the old bearings as a drift to tap the new bearings in, it did not take toooo long to be fair.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Took mine to a LBS, £28 later I have some enduro bearings and a buttery smooth and silent crankset.

TBH, £1028 is still a bargain for the Boardman :lol: I just hope they stay buttery smooth now!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is known that a lot of Boardman had the BB30 bearings incorrectly fitting.

Hope you kept the old ones as spares. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    My current (XT) BB is showing signs of wear, is it worth paying a bit more for XTR?

Chain Reaction currently have them for £37.99:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38336

XT/SLX are £26.99:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41445
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets