Any NW Kent Roadies able to help?

LondonMTB
LondonMTB Posts: 79
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
I'm researching my first road bike, & I know it's important to get one that 'fits', but I don't really know exactly how I tell if a bike fits me?! (All I know is the heel-on-pedal-leg-should-be-pretty-much-straight thing) I don't feel I can rely on how I feel on a 10-minute test-ride of a bike, since I don't really know what I'm looking out for! Is there anyone how can advise me on things to look out for? I'd like a bike that's not too aggressive, as I'll want to do some touring on it, so a slightly more relaxed posture would be good. My budget's £500-800 so quite flexible. Any handy hints?
Or anyone local who might have a 52cm frame (I think that's right for me) bike in this category that'll let me sit on their bike and give an opinion of what fits me??!
Any help very much appreciated, I'm desperate to get a bike now, despite soggy weather :roll:

Comments

• Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    Can I ask how tall you are? a 52cm frame is rather small, so you might struggle to find one to try
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • I'm 5'6" - 5'7", I'm female if that helps, but my torso is tiny, my ribs basically join my hips, so I'm very leggy/army. I have only tried one 54cm and that did feel a little stretched, but I know all bikes/makes have different geometries so probably worth me trying lots of 52 & 54cm frames?
  • mjl1982
    mjl1982 Posts: 64
    My friend has a 52 you can try out.. if you are about in Gravesend area.

Tri the bike shop are pretty good aswell in Gravesend... if you wanted to visit a store in NW Kent.
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    I am in dartford, travel into london everyday and am around the same sort of height (5'6") as you.

If you are interested, I have a few ( :lol: ) small bikes that you could try:
    50cm compact geometry alu bike (52cm toptube)
    49cm traditional geometry steel SS (52.5cm toptube)
    52cm compact geometry carbon (53cm toptube)

Like you, I could maybe have got a 54cm frame to fit (was v close when I bought the carbon), but you might also want to factor in the fact that many manufacturers now do bike with female-specific geometry too which will alter the fit and feel of the bike.

Anyway, let me know if I can help...
  • +1 on getting yourself to Tri the bike in Gravesend. The guys that run it are well into their road bikes and jolly nice to boot. They stock Trek and Giant so are bound to have something that will float your boat.

I actually frequent Dartford quite often, but alas no serious bike shops there unless you venture to Sidcup or Bromley.
  • check out the competative cyclist online calculator - its quite in-depth and will give you a better idea than just heel on the pedal.

If you are thinking about touring also consider ensuring that the frame has bosses to fit a rack on the back - and also that there is clearance for mudgaurds

evans now at lakeside likely to have a 52cm - and if your in east london - there will be plenty of options if you travel west.

Im 5'8 and ride a 53 top tube with an 80mm stem (and a 52cm with a 90mm)- everyones different.

compact geometry bikes easier to size than traditional, where the top tube meaasurement is currently seen as the key (i.e. a 52 in one range will be more akin to a 54 in another top tube wise)
  • Sorry to have ignored this thread and been rude by not replying, finally getting back to sorting out buying another bike (after a short break trying to convince myself I didn't need/want another bike!)...Thank you all for your advice/offers of help, I'll look into Tri and see if I can figure out what to get :)
  • LondonMTB wrote:
    I'm 5'6" - 5'7", I'm female if that helps, but my torso is tiny, my ribs basically join my hips, so I'm very leggy/army. I have only tried one 54cm and that did feel a little stretched, but I know all bikes/makes have different geometries so probably worth me trying lots of 52 & 54cm frames?

Ideally you want a shorter top tube as this will reduce the amount of reach between the saddle and the handlebars. Saddle height can easily be adjusted up and down to accommodate your long legs, so size the frame according to your torso/arm length. I would say look at 50cm to 52cm frames with a horizontal top tube length of between 510 and 530mm, then you can always adjust further with stem length.

Certainly don't limit yourself to ladies bikes, there are just as many men out there with short/long legs and short/long torso's. As ever, get advice from the shops and ensure you can have a good test ride before buying.