Weird Recurring Inner Tube Failure

robertharvey
robertharvey Posts: 18
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am getting a recurring puncture problem with my tyres. The tyre seems to be cutting into the inner tube where the tyre meets the inside of the rim. See attached picture. This shows the inner tube after a few days riding and the damage has not gotten bad enough to make a hole, but it will! The damage appears along the whole circumference of the tube at the point where the tyre meets the rim tape. Looking at the seating of the tyre it all looks clean (no gaps) where it meets the rim tape on the inside.

Has anyone else come across this problem before and have a solution?

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bz8mRS9Zvti4MjdlYTc1ZDQtYTA2Ny00NjI5LWI0YjAtY2Y0MjlhODNiZjA2&hl=en_GB

leaf?id=0Bz8mRS9Zvti4MjdlYTc1ZDQtYTA2Ny00NjI5LWI0YjAtY2Y0MjlhODNiZjA2&hl=en_GB

Comments

• run more pressure in the tyres
  • I am running them at 50 PSI You think more?
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Does the bead of the tyre feel rough?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Have you got rimtape installed? I can't see the image at work so don't know...I'd make sure that there are no spokes protruding and that the rim tape is properly seated in the rim so give the inner tube a smooth surface to sit on. Also check the tyre inner - any sharp edges/material protruding? Check the inner face of the rim - anything sharp?
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What sort of rim tape? is it the hard plasticky stuff? I'd remove it and use three full wraps of electrical tape.
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    50psi is reasonably high for a MTB tyre - unless you are riding over some very rocky/pointy rocks...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • Tyre edge is rubbery and slightly feathered to match the way the ply runs out. No ply coming through. And as I say the problem extends along the whole circumference of the interface bewteen the tyre and the rim tape.

Had stock plastic rim tape on and now overlaid with Velox fabric tape. Made no difference.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Too wide a tyre on too narrow a rim?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I had a similar problem on my commuter and found that the damage was being caused by the wheel.

Most wheels are an extruded aluminium which is formed into a circle and welded. I had a slight misalignment on this joint and a sharp edge on the inside which was cutting into the inner tube. The solution was a rub down the sharp edge with a fine file followed by a smoothing with wet and dry

Its a rare problem but may be worth a look.
  • Bike = Rockhopper
    Rim = DT-Swiss 445D, 26", double wall disc, pin joint, eyelets, 28/32h
    Tyre = Michelin Tyres - MTB 26" Country Trail 26 x 2.00 Folding Black
  • I had a similar problem on my commuter and found that the damage was being caused by the wheel.

Most wheels are an extruded aluminium which is formed into a circle and welded. I had a slight misalignment on this joint and a sharp edge on the inside which was cutting into the inner tube. The solution was a rub down the sharp edge with a fine file followed by a smoothing with wet and dry

Its a rare problem but may be worth a look.

Yes but I think that would be at the butt joint in the rim, opposite the valve. This is around the whole circumference
  • Yes it would - so its not the problem I suggested.

Only other thought is the wrong size inner tube.
  • Yes it would - so its not the problem I suggested.

Only other thought is the wrong size inner tube.

The tube in the picture is 1.75, but this has only been in a few days to replace the failed 2.0 tube.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    I wonder what brand tubes you use and what size they are exactly. Many tubes are listed as 2.1" and when used for wider tyres/rims they may be forced to stretch too much.
    That, combined with very high pressure may be the cause of your problems.

P.S. Not questioning your preferences but there's no rational reason to put 50PSI in a MTB tyre for riding off road.
  • Picture of Tyre

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bz8mRS9Zvti4ZDc0M2QxYTctN2NiMS00MjU2LWE0YTEtNTYyMWNiOWZiYzA4&hl=en_GB

Must be something to do with the ridges on the inner of the tyre as the damage is occuring at the same pitch as the pattern?

My next plan is to try chalk/talc and see what happens.
  • Barteos wrote:
    I wonder what brand tubes you use and what size they are exactly. Many tubes are listed as 2.1" and when used for wider tyres/rims they may be forced to stretch too much.

P.S. Not questioning your preferences but there's no rational reason to put 50PSI in a MTB tyre for riding off road.

Continental tubes

What pressure do you use?
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    From the picture, it looks like the tyre ply is the problem.

( The holes are associated with the end of those marks )

So I think it's the tyre.

Maybe try to smooth off the ply ridges? Are they unusually rough or sharp at the end?

Do you have another tyre the same to compare with?
  • Talc/baby powder on the tube should do the trick (adds a little slip to the tube).

I had the same problem, tire bead has some very small movement on the rim up and down over bumps, tube was sticking to both (rim metal and tire) and it caused a small tear to develop over time. Talc allows the tube not to stick to both and float when you have the bead/rim movement.

Even if it doesn't work for you it is very simple to try.
  • geebee2 wrote:
    From the picture, it looks like the tyre ply is the problem.

( The holes are associated with the end of those marks )

So I think it's the tyre.

Maybe try to smooth off the ply ridges? Are they unusually rough or sharp at the end?

Do you have another tyre the same to compare with?

Those ridges are rubber, soft to the touch. I did try to emery the edges down but have you tried filing rubber it just moves out of the way and then laughs back at you :-(
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    Maybe a picture of the (inside) of the tyre would help.

You could try using nail clippers to clip the offending parts off.

I just had a look at the inside of some (road not MTB) tyres I have lying around, and they are all smooth on the inside, so these ridges seem unusual.

But also, compare to another tyre of same make, assuming you have one.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Barteos wrote:

Continental tubes

What pressure do you use?

Generally closer to 25-35PSI.
    With my current setup (wide rims and tyres) I can get away with 20PSI.
  • geebee2 wrote:
    Maybe a picture of the (inside) of the tyre would help.

You could try using nail clippers to clip the offending parts off.

I just had a look at the inside of some (road not MTB) tyres I have lying around, and they are all smooth on the inside, so these ridges seem unusual.

But also, compare to another tyre of same make, assuming you have one.

In France on holiday at the moment so not much stock on hand.

see
    https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bz8mRS9Zvti4ZDc0M2QxYTctN2NiMS00MjU2LWE0YTEtNTYyMWNiOWZiYzA4&hl=en_GB
  • Have you tried swapping the tyres around and seeing what happens?