Does anyone know anything about it?

Its about time I got a licence!

Thanks
Scott Addict 2011
Giant TCR 2012

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    My knowledge could be a bit out of date, but as far as I know for anyone not a junior or veteran there are 'A Amateur' and 'B Amateur' licences and races. I reckon A Amateur more or less compares with UK Elite level, B Amateur with Cat 1/2. There used to be a C Amateur category (roughly Cat 3/4), but no longer.

No races on public roads - either village centre crits or races on purpose-built cycling circuits (e.g Sloten in Amsterdam), or a couple of national level larger loop races.

But what you need to do anyway to get a licence is become a member of a cycling club, a racing one. You need that to get a licence, and people there will be able to help you with licences and categories. I used to ride for ASC Olympia in A'dam, but that's almost 20 years ago, so can't really say anything on the current scene - google will help :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    You can join the KNWU as a basic member for club riding which gives you third party insurance, usually some discounts and I think something to do with rescue if you break the bike (but I ve not worked this out yet?!) i think this is about EUR30 a year. Joining a club will get you membership of the KNWU, usually the person in charge will sort it and you ll get a card in the mail...

Then you can get a racing licence through the same people, which I think is another 30 (Iv e not done this yet though)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Sun Dodger
    Sun Dodger Posts: 393
    If you are intrested in racing, I'd head on down to Sloten (south of the city, to the west of the Amsterdamse Bos). They do races there on a Saturday @1300 for non-licence holders. These are organised by WV Amsterdam and there are always a few folk from ASC Olympia around, so a good way to meet people from the local clubs and probably the best way to start off towards getting a license.

As for levels, I think they may have done away with the Amateur A & B distinctions recently - there seem to be two categories "Amateur" & "Sportclass" these days.

Good luck - and a few links below...

http://www.knwu.nl
    http://www.ascolympia.nl
    http://www.wvamsterdam.nl
  • Sun Dodger
    Asked a friend - apparently three levels of membership of the KNWU: Recreational, Sportclass & Amateur, with the latter two being the racing licences.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Thanks for all the help and advice.

I have done a few of the trimmers rides in the past and didnt really enjoy it. Not very organised etc, so was hoping that by joining the licence holders it might be a little better. Also no doubt harder, but thats the point, right?!
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Sun Dodger
    Not sure how much different it is with the Licence-Holders in terms of organisation, just a bit faster** and more elbows from what I hear - though I have only ever rode the Trimmers races, so I could be way out.

** If the Dutch track team turn up, an awful lot faster apparently :D