What headset will fit into my big headtube?

kingpinn85
kingpinn85 Posts: 5
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi... I am changing my forks from Marzochi 66 with a 1.5 steerer to Fox 40's with a standard steerer 11/8..

I know i will need a reducer headset. But.. My old headset cups measure 56mm od diamiter both Top and Bottom.. I need a reducer headset that has 56mm cups to press into my frame.

I cant find any headset on the market.. The only solution i can see is to have one machined for me.. Has anyone come accross this issue before that can help me out.

The Frame is a 2010 Marin Quake. The headtube is not a Traditional 1.5 headtube.. 1.5 headset cups do not fit because they are too small.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited August 2011
    any 56mm headset

an EC56 or a ZS56 depending if you want an external or internal cup.

Hang on this may be a bit more complex.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I cant find any headset that has EC56 and ZS56 together... all i come across are the tapered headsets that have the ZS56 bottom cup but not the correct size top cup.

Do you know where I can get a headset with EC56 and ZS56 cup measurement from thats an Internal headset?
  • nicklouse
    ok the current on is Orbit E 1.5 Internal

I would have a look at FSA Gravity DX (No.9M/CUP/CC/7BY (page 126 of the FSA headset book 2011) and use that bottom cup assy with your current top cupassy
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Im changing my forks... so the steerer is 11/8 now not a 1.5.
    Traditional 1.5 headsets do not fit the headtube.. the headtube ID is huge. I've already looked at what you said and its not the correct one to reduce the steerer.

Why is there nothing on sale for thsi size headtube, is it because there isnt enough demand?
  • nicklouse
    miss read the plain 1.5 steerer. looks like two headsets unless.

the standard fitted to you bike was only though of for 1.5 forks and also the lower cup assy can be found on some taper head tubes.

It is going to be fun.
  • humm... It is going to be fun.. WHY ME! haha
    well... thanks for trying help.. You never know..someone might read this and shed more light onto it for me!
  • nicklouse
    LOL just noticed I was reading the wrong dimension. FFS.
  • nicklouse
    Right. found a bottom cup assy for you

110.ZS56 Conversion Bottom (ZS56/30/H4/x)

or the

40.ZS56 Conversion Bottom ( ZS56/30/H4/K)

and use the top and bottom

as the bearings top and bottom are the same you could get a spare top compression ring and use that in one. the only issue wi9ll be the top cover.

that is me done.
  • nicklouse
    Ok call hope. and see if they do any reducer crown races and top centering rings for their cups that will fit.

large-HopePickNMix.jpg

5 and E, maybe HS136 will do for the bottom?