What new things have you done this year?

nich
nich Posts: 888
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
It's sad, but I'm having a little break from cycling everyday as I have various aches and that won't go away.

I still need an exercise fix though, so I've taken up swimming.

It's been about 15 years since I've last been in a pool and I'm really enjoying it.

Can't quite get the front crawl right yet, but I'll get there. I'm finding it rather addictive though, just like cycling :D

Oh, I seem to smell of chlorine 24/7 as well now.

What activities have you taken up this year?

Comments

• Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Caving... Scares the bejesus out of me but the adrenaline rush is worth it! :D

IMGP0087.jpg

IMGP0092.jpg
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Just started playing squash again, haven't been on a court in years.

It's flippin' hard work!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Taken my bodybuilding to new levels.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Just started playing squash again, haven't been on a court in years.

It's flippin' hard work!

I'm a badminton player and one of the main tactics is to aim the shuttle at the opponents face and body.

Apparently this is not good form when playing squash. If my wife insists on standing on the T right in the middle it's just instinct to hit the ball straight at her and really it's her fault and not mine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    Caving... Scares the bejesus out of me but the adrenaline rush is worth it! :D]

The Swildons is a great cave to start in, from there I went onto Cave diving, which is even scarier if you stop and think about what you're doing
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    gbsahne wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:

The Swildons is a great cave to start in, from there I went onto Cave diving, which is even scarier if you stop and think about what you're doing

First time out I did Swildons in the morning (easy...) then they took me to Eastwater Cavern... :shock:

(Eastwater is NOT a begineers cave...)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Got engaged.

Gonna become a Dad.

Rear Admiral with Starfleet

Level 31 Void archetype Superhero in Millennium City.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:
    Mr Sworld wrote:

First time out I did Swildons in the morning (easy...) then they took me to Eastwater Cavern... :shock:

(Eastwater is NOT a begineers cave...)

Did you do the Swillys round trip? Seem to recall Eastwater as being just good fun but after 20 years my memories of many of the holes in the ground are just of dark holes! You should try some proper Yorkshire Caves. :wink:

PS the laughs we had with Swildons sump one, a novice and a large lump of rock.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I ate 10 McDonald's Double Cheese Burgers in 1 sitting. It sounds easy but give it a go. After the LEJOG thing, that's probably my greatest achievement of 2011 so far...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • gbsahne001
    Rolf F wrote:
    PS the laughs we had with Swildons sump one, a novice and a large lump of rock.....

We used to do the same, not everyone took it as a joke though
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Rear Admiral with Starfleet

Euphamism?
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gbsahne wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

We used to do the same, not everyone took it as a joke though

Some people just don't see the funny side of being made to think they have taken a wrong turning and are about to drown :lol:

I quite liked the old gag of getting your head out of the far side of the sump and thrashing your legs around like you were stuck half way through.

As it happens, I did nearly drown myself in the last duck - I kicked off and lost the nose slot. Everyone else had buggered off and left me too it and I recalled thinking how embarrassing it would be to drown in a Swildons duck :oops:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I know that this is going to sound a bit odd (possibly) in the context of the other posts but the new things I did this year were to watch two friends/colleagues succumb to cancer and support my own child through cancer treatment (his prospects are excellent BTW). I can't think of many other things I could have done that could have so profoundly changed me and caused me to reassess my values. I'm more content with the things that don't matter and more dissatisfied with the things that do.

There's a great quote from a guy called Alex Hohmann on the LiveStrong.org FB site

Cancer took my testicles but it gave me balls

Amen to that.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gbsahne001
    Rolf F wrote:
    Some people just don't see the funny side of being made to think they have taken a wrong turning and are about to drown :lol:

I quite liked the old gag of getting your head out of the far side of the sump and thrashing your legs around like you were stuck half way through.

As it happens, I did nearly drown myself in the last duck - I kicked off and lost the nose slot. Everyone else had buggered off and left me too it and I recalled thinking how embarrassing it would be to drown in a Swildons duck :oops:

We managed to lose some novices on one trip, and on another I had to free climb the ladder pitch, as an outgoing party had taken their ladder and not deployed ours.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Rolf F wrote:

You know, I'd been idly thinking about caving as a "conquer your fears" thing -- the idea's always scared me. But, now, having read that: Foxtrot. Tango. Sierra.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    London Marathon. Havent done any running since around 1992. Did a half marathon once in '90.
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I know that this is going to sound a bit odd (possibly) in the context of the other posts but the new things I did this year were to watch two friends/colleagues succumb to cancer and support my own child through cancer treatment (his prospects are excellent BTW). I can't think of many other things I could have done that could have so profoundly changed me and caused me to reassess my values. I'm more content with the things that don't matter and more dissatisfied with the things that do.

There's a great quote from a guy called Alex Hohmann on the LiveStrong.org FB site

Cancer took my testicles but it gave me balls

Amen to that.

The livestrong channel has some inspirational stories.

This is the one that sticks with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4itoaTo ... ure=relmfu
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Got married, built a singlespeed and became the father of a growing bump.

All of which were big achievements for me :D
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    snooks wrote:
    Got married, built a singlespeed and became the father of a growing bump.

All of which were big achievements for me :D

Congrats on both counts!

Not so much on the singlespeed though... they're like pay phones to the mobile phone.

When she due? We should form an expectant Fathers club.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Moved house, moved job.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,124
    Coincidentally I've taken up regular swimming this year as a way of recovering from my hernia op in May and to keep a bit of fitness while I was off the bike. I'm now back on the bike and getting some fitness back, but will keep with the swimming a couple of times a week as I want something that builds up my top half a bit.

Like you say, can be a bit addictive once you get into it and start improving !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Got my road bike and done my first London to Brighton :D

And jumped off this cliff which was both exhilarating and terrifying

coasteering-st-nons-jump.jpg
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    DonDaddyD wrote:

When she due? We should form an expectant Fathers club.

The day after my birthday! Jan 15th
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs