Anybody suffered with a ruptured achilles tendon ?

twonks Posts: 352
edited August 2011 in Health, fitness & training
I had an 'off' on my mtb last week that has resulted in my left achilles tendon rupturing.

Now sat here with a fancy plastic boot on to relieve the tension and allow for knitting back together.

I'm going to see a private consultant in two weeks as the local NHS have a no surgery policy on these injuries, so am keen to here if any cyclists have had a similar problem and gone back to cycling without surgery?

I realise it is a time orientated healing procedure and not looking to rush things, just gathering the pros and cons of surgery or not.

Life does suck being immobile though. Makes one realise how much it must take for those with chronic injuries to stay positive.


  • Hi Twonks

    Is yours a full or partial rupture?

    I had a full rupture of my achilles tendon whilst playing squash about 6 years ago. I am now fully "fit" with no problems and have been so for a few years. Running, mtb'ing @ trail centres, hiking and squash have all been fine.

    I had surgery (the next morning) to ensure that both ends of the tendon met. Due to scar tissue my achilles is now about 3x thicker than it was originally and I sport a nice long scar. I was in various cast for about 10-12 weeks post op, experienced a lot of muscle wastage and had to retrain myself how to walk correctly once cast free. I also had lots of intensive foot massages to help reduce the swelling.

    The op worked for me, I would rather have the op and be safe in the knowledge that I could start healing rather than wait a few weeks just in case the ends meet and then have an op because they didn't.

    Good luck
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    Hia. Thanks for the detailed reply.

    I am a little miffed with mine as I am not sure exatly what has gone.

    Whilst the A&E were swift in casting it up, they didn't offer any scans or diagnosis other than 'there is a 5mm gap and it could be a full or partial rupture'

    As they have a no surgery policy I was left with a fancy OptoPed boot thing and instructions to go back for the foot angle to be reduced in 4 weeks.

    The registrar that saw me said she would advise surgery as I am of a sporty nature and gave me a consultant who is excellent in such injuries,

    I have Bupa with work so the costs are taken care of, but I can't get in to see her for another 2 weeks, Her receptionist said they advise 2 weeks wait after the incident to allow swelling to go down and get a true reflection of the injury - but this goes against all the info I've seen so far that suggest surgery straight away !

    So now I have a waiting game and I am slightly worried that people have got it wrong / missguided and when I see her she'll say it is too late for surgery... grrr

    On the whole I'm a little annoyed at the NHS as they are only interested in getting it 'working' again and not in any way commited to finding out how bad the injury actually is and how it might affect my future. Running the NHS as a business (and other forces / services) will never ever work, but this is very much a different thread ;)

    Thanks again.
  • mmmm.... my other half was a physio and when in A&E informed me to make it very clear how active and sporty I was and intended to be. The first couple of Dr's that saw me weren't very helpful, but I was eventually diagnosed correctly with a full rupture. Tbh I don't recall having a scan, but I might have. I arrived at A&E at 9.30pm, in a cast by 1am and under the knife the next day by 10.30. Brilliant.

    Post op care was not great, but I could live with that having my own personal physio at home.

    I've had private medical cover and have always been seen within days when needed. I'd push for a cancellation if you are able to.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    The A&E staff were more interested in how I'd done it instead of what I'd actually done. They were however quick and efficient at doing the job it has to be said.

    The Bupa consultant is on holiday and she's the best in the area apparently, so I don't mind waiting. A phone call to her receptionist says the wait won't matter much (In the grand scheme of things, an extra two weeks isn't much of a problem if this is the case)

    Ironicaly, I have just this minute had my first recall appointment with the Hospital. They have told me to visit a consultant at 9.15 in 4 weeks and to expect several hours wait. I also am likely to see a member of his staff and not the consultant himself.

    Will wait until after the private consultation and then cancel the NHS appointment if it is deemed the best way to go.

    Now just have to cope with horrible levels of itching occasionally. It's hard to appreciate just how nasty an itch can be until you can't get to it :lol:
  • Fair enough then. Even money says you cancel the NHS appt!

    Drop me a line if you have any other q's or would like an 'insight' into what to expect further down the line.

    Good luck!