Shimano 10 speed shifter & 9 speed mech

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an XTR Carbon rear mech:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 640334.pdf

And I also have an XT 10 speed shifter:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 746412.pdf

Would this comination work using a 10speed chain and 10speed XT cassette? I also have a 10 speed XT cassette, but would rather use the XTR if it would be compatible.

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No.

see the topic in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    As Nick rather bluntly puts it, no this combination will not work. Shimano 10 speed MTB shifters and mechs need to be used together. The cable actuation ratio is different between 9 and 10 speed so it means you can't mix them.
  • Oki doki... Thanks for the explanation mister p
  • mister p
    No worries. It confuses quite a few people as it is the first time in quite a few years that newer and old stuff can't be mixed.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    As gear counts increase the cassette has to stay the same size. So the spacing between the gear cogs in the cassette becomes narrower and the chain with becomes narrower.

Therefore the shifters generally pull a different amount of cable moving the mech a different amount.

If your shifter and mech have the same gear count you stand more chance than differing gear counts.
  • Actually, I think it would work, the overall width of a 9 and 10 speed cassette is the same. So I believe a 10 speed shifter will work with a 10 speed cassette and the dérailleur will be positioned according to the cable pull from the shifter.

Its certainly worth a try if you've got a XTR mech you want to use.
    Trek Stache 8 29er
    Orange Five Pro 2011
    Rock Lobster Team Ti (Custom) 2010
    Whyte Stirling - Hybrid
    Southdowns MTB Club http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    andyg1966 wrote:
    Actually, I think it would work, the overall width of a 9 and 10 speed cassette is the same. So I believe a 10 speed shifter will work with a 10 speed cassette and the dérailleur will be positioned according to the cable pull from the shifter.

Its certainly worth a try if you've got a XTR mech you want to use.
    it will NOT work.

the pull ratio is different. the cassette is not the same width. the cog spacing is also different.

PS. MrP is Mr Shimano in the UK. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mister p
    Unfortunately Andy it is not that simple. It is one of the most frequently asked questions on 9 and 10 speed interchangability.

Shimano are still producing 9 speed rear MTB mechs as the new 10 speed won't work on a 9 speed set up, If they did work they would stop making the old ones and just offer the new ones like they did when road went 10 speed.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    nicklouse wrote:
    PS. MrP is Mr Shimano in the UK. :wink:

I believe some people on here actually use Sram. Weird.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mister p
    Well I can't help them.
  • mister p wrote:
    Well I can't help them.

Can you help me? I have a SRAM 10sp setup and its sh!t :lol::lol: