Shhh.. Winter prep a Cube Attempt

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Got a mate with a Cube Attempt and he wants to use it through the Winter this year.

The problem is: it's an out and out road bike with no clearances for bigger tyres and nothing to hang mudguards on.

I've suggested Raceblades and 25c GP 4 season tyres. Am I giving him good advice or should I learn to shut up and ask here first next time?

He's also wondering about mounting a pannier so I suggested a stem clamp arrangement to hang a large saddle bag off, but I'm really not sure about this.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Good Lord.... you should be directing him to the Darkside!!!

Send him a link for a lovely new Tricross..... and a Cape....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Kieran_Burns
    I did lay it on thick about how much more flexible a CX bike is, but he can't afford one at the moment (even though he was sending links for the CX bikes ( v v nice!) ), so we need to consider alternatives
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm in a similar situation, so look forward to helpful replies :wink:

Of course, I could just buy a CX frame, swap everything from the Ribble over to that, use it for the winter and either sell the Ribble or swap back in summer......

Hmmm....or turn my old slicked up MTB into a spiky tyred winter bike
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    Got a mate with a Cube Attempt and he wants to use it through the Winter this year.

The problem is: it's an out and out road bike with no clearances for bigger tyres and nothing to hang mudguards on.

I've suggested Raceblades and 25c GP 4 season tyres. Am I giving him good advice or should I learn to shut up and ask here first next time?

He's also wondering about mounting a pannier so I suggested a stem clamp arrangement to hang a large saddle bag off, but I'm really not sure about this.

The combo of 25's and mudguards could be a bit tight. I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of difference from 23's. Also raceblades will allow crap to get up to the headset and brake calipers and into your face. The crud roadracer ones are made of tissue paper but they do at least provide more complete coverage.

You should also warn him that its going to beat the **!$ out of his nice shiny bike.

Oh, and he'll forever be adjusting and reindexing his gears.
  • Regular tyres are fine on a roadie in all but snow, IMO, as long as you don't lose your bottle on ice and slow down too much. I would go for the Crud RoadRacers for the 'guards, but road bikes are more than capable in the winter.
  • Kieran_Burns
    The big problem I can see is that the wheels (fulcrum race 7) only allow 25c max size tyres. We're riding down country roads and I was glad of the CX tyres I fitted quite a few times when we had the snow.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I have a Giant Defy with 25's and have been using crud Roadracer 2's for about 9 months now .
    So far they are great but do need a tweak occasionally to prevent rubbing,left them on all Summer.
    Cant fault them for coverage though,coped very well last winter !!
  • The big problem I can see is that the wheels (fulcrum race 7) only allow 25c max size tyres. We're riding down country roads and I was glad of the CX tyres I fitted quite a few times when we had the snow.

I found my CX tyres good in fresh snow, as soon as the grit had made it a bit slushy, the road tyres were fine.