Commuting whilst injured... should I?

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Now i went away over the weekend on a Stag do and now i am injured.

I have a cracked rib curtosey of one of the fellow stags, some tomfoolery and a bin.

it hurt like hell, but the pain is starting to ease a bit now and the pain killers are doing their job,

However, should i ride my bike whilst carrying this type of injury bareing in mind that on Monday and Tuesday i struggled to get dressed and it hurts everytime i breath (so this will increase when i am putting in effort), or do i continue using PT untill i feel better?

If i was to ride what sort of Long term effects could this have other than prolonging the healing?

Or do i just MTFU and get on with it?

Any advise?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If it was something minor I'd say MTFU, but with a cracked rib, it's probably not worth making it worse.

Think how much it would hurt if you fell off the bike and landed on it. How easily could you ride and signal/shoulder check?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    I cracked a rib three weeks ago and assumed it was just badly bruised and carried on commuting and training in richmond park (eating painkillers like smarties). I finally gave in to the pain and went to the docs and got x-rayed and much stronger painkillers and I've been getting on fine since.

I am stubborn tho, and probably most people would advise you to take it easy. The thing is from past experience it takes bloody ages for ribs to heal even when you are fully resting.

The way I see it is if the pain isn't causing you a problem and isn't causing you to ride in an awkward position that could possibly lead to further injuries, why not carry on, but just taking it a bit easier.
  • Andrew N
    Andrew N Posts: 119
    Even a bruised rib hurts like hell. How you can carry on commuting with a cracked rib I'll never know
    www.goinggoingbike.com
    So i went out on the bike for a spin last night.... OUCH! :(

i am sure it may have been the terrible roads but i think i need a few more days off!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • After having a serious off while mountain biking and cracking two ribs I had to see the doc and was given strong painkillers. Frankly it's going to hurt no matter what you do and it lasts for months.

So I just grimaced and carried on cycling to work, it hurt more getting on and off the bike and laughing than the riding did. But I did cycle very slowly and tried not to breathe hard as that was quite painful.

Also don't take strong painkillers just before a ride, you make silly mistakes. It's better to be in pain than completely stoned while cycling.
    --
    FCN 9