First Two Races ... Ever

robert-sb
robert-sb Posts: 118
edited August 2011 in Amateur race
Well Monday night I did my first race (full report in the race report thread) which was a Cat 4 only race and managed 4th. Then last night was a 2/3/4 race. I went along and wasn't sure whether or not I was going to race as they all looked so serious ie shaved legs, team tops (and not just clubs), deep rim wheels and rollers to warm up.

However, the son that I so cruelly made do his first race before me on Monday got his own back and persuaded me to race. To cut a long story short I was pleased with the finish. There were only 2 of us cat 4's in the race. We ended up working together, didn't finish last and when we were lapped by a group with about 7 laps to go managed to hold on to them until 1 lap to go. I think we benefited from it being a technical circuit on which were better than most at cornering - on a flat out straight circuit I would have struggled more - but it gave me a lot of confidence to keep on trying.

In addition although this was a 45 min race compared with 22 mins on Monday I felt a lot less tired 15mins after the end for the same overall average speed. But that could be any one or more of the following checking tyre pressure before last night, doh, riding the whole 45 mins on the drops compared to hoods on Monday and last night I was better at following a wheel so giving me more protection when I wasn't on the front.

A great experience and can't wait for next time.

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Well done for giving it a go and finishing! …just a word of warning about joining a passing group as a lapped rider. This can make you very unpopular with your fellow racers even if you don’t think you’re interfering you may well be and not realise it.
  • robert-sb
    Blimey, this gets so complicated :?

On another thread this was indeed suggested as long as you sit up at the finish, which we did with one lap to go. The other thing I made sure to do was when one guy had done his turn left a gap between me and the rider in front for him to slide into. This also gave me more practice at sprinting to get on. Anyway, the state I was in, getting a little unpopular was the last of my concerns :D

In contrast I would say that the better riders that can't corner also risk making themselves unpopular with those of us that can - for instance braking in corners :shock:
  • sitting on the back is fine - getting back into the action is not fine (or fair to those in the front still racing for position)
  • That sounds good. As a newcomer its good to see a report like this. I take it with the 4th place in your first race you now have a few point as well. I would be over the moon with that. I take it more than 4 people were in the race ;-)
  • robert-sb
    @wjcrombie agreed.
    I take it with the 4th place in your first race you now have a few point as well. I would be over the moon with that. I take it more than 4 people were in the race ;-)

yes, fortunately there were about 13 or 14 in the race :D

As for points, I don't know how that works ! I out my race license number down on the start sheet and it was organised by the British Cycling Events Officer in the SW so presumably at some point it will get fed back to BC ?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Well done Robert.

I think the first race was this one http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/74880/East-Devon-Grand-Prix. If it was then as a Go-race race no points would be available.

Find some 4th only or 3/4 races and you may do fine.