Replacement Bottom Bracket?

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
The bottom bracket on my Boardman is creaking and groaning so I reckon it's on it's way out.
Halfords aren't exactly filling me with confidence about replacing it despite it still being under warranty so I'm thinking of just taking it to a reputable shop to get it done.

Any suggestions as to a decent BB to replace the current FSA Mega EXO one that's currently fitted?

Comments

• Don't you basically need another FSA one to replace it? If you were running Shimano (for example), you'd have lots of options.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the chainset is a FSA Gossamer then a regular Shimano Hollowtech II will fit.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Don't you basically need another FSA one to replace it? If you were running Shimano (for example), you'd have lots of options.

I'm not sure. I was looking for something different as this one's given up the ghost after such a short time!
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    If the chainset is a FSA Gossamer then a regular Shimano Hollowtech II will fit.

I'm clueless when it comes to FSA BB's

If he's got a Mega Exo in there already - would he not need another Mega Exo BB? Otherwise wouldn't he have a HTII in there now?

Or is a Mega Exo BB the same as HTII?
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Monty Dog wrote:

Well, with a bit of effort it will.

I replaced my FSA mega exo bb with a shimano tiagra BB and whilst in theory it should be compatible, I had to use a fair bit of force (rubber mallet) to get the chainset shaft through. Not ideal at all.

I have now gone back to the mega exo BB - original, as the creaking which made me think the BB was at fault in the first place - was actually the cassette...

If your BB is definitely gone, I would suggest replacing it with an FSA Mega Exo one. It's also a very easy job to do yourself - just need the BB tool and an allen key.
    Mens agitat molem
  • bazbadger wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I replaced my FSA mega exo bb with a shimano tiagra BB and whilst in theory it should be compatible, I had to use a fair bit of force (rubber mallet) to get the chainset shaft through. Not ideal at all.

I have now gone back to the mega exo BB - original, as the creaking which made me think the BB was at fault in the first place - was actually the cassette...

If your BB is definitely gone, I would suggest replacing it with an FSA Mega Exo one. It's also a very easy job to do yourself - just need the BB tool and an allen key.

Mine's creaking badly at the moment which makes me think it's gone. The cassette is quite new so should be ok, I think!

Is a crank removal tool required with this type of set-up or will they come off easily with the Allen key bolts removed?
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    bazbadger wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Mine's creaking badly at the moment which makes me think it's gone. The cassette is quite new so should be ok, I think!

Is a crank removal tool required with this type of set-up or will they come off easily with the Allen key bolts removed?

The creaking on mine was down to the cassette on the freehub - taking the cassette off and cleaning everything, putting it all back sorted it.

With regard to the removing the crank - if its an FSA Mega Exo Gossamer (as mine) all you do is loosen the two pinch bolts on the left hand crank arm then carefully loosen the plastic tensioning bolt from the middle of the arm. The arm will then come off the spline shaft. Make sure you also keep the thin blue washer - you'll need to replace it. then just slide the right hand crank arm out. That's it.

You will need a BB tool that fits over the external cups - you then undo both sides - there is an arrow on the each cup telling you which way you need to go. Then take them out.

When putting new cups in - just take your time and be gentle as you don't want to cross the threads in the BB, but it's fairly easy.

Having done it a few times now, it's very straightforward.

The Park Tool website has some fantastic info on sorting all main areas of your bike too.

Hope this helps.
    Mens agitat molem
  • Excellent, I'll take a look at the cassette first. Do you need to lube the cassette on the freehub or should it be fitted dry?

Changing the BB sounds pretty straightforward, thankfully!
  • Well I told myself "never buy a bike from Halfords" but found myself needing a bike in a hurry - and I thought that maybe even they could not manage to muck one of these up...
    This is the £1000 alloy model - actually not a bad bike and rides really well.
    But, 20 miles into my first ride it started creaking - and this is LOUD. A really dreadful cracking sound. A real head-turner when riding through towns and villages, but for all the wrong reasons. Strange, though, that you cannot feel anything wrong through the pedals.
    So I took it back and the guy said "oh yes, we have had a problem with these and all it needs is a spot of grease...".
    Not very convinced by this (btw I have been a cyclist for over 30 years and have never heard such twaddle) I watched him knock out the spindle and grease it up.
    This lasted for all of half a mile before the atrocious creaking returned, which I endured for the remainder of my 50 mile circuit.
    So I am taking it back again today - I bought this bike so I could keep it at my mum's place to avoid having to pack up a bike every time I come visiting (I live on the IoM) so I wanted something half-decent that I could just pick up and use every so often. So far, this is turning into a nightmare....
  • Halfords is the only LBS I have near where I live. Otherwise it needs a long trip to the big city. So when I needed a new bottom bracket some time ago I naturally went to Halfords. The only Bottom Brackets they stocked were UN54, don't get me wrong these are great bottom brackets but since mine wasn't a JIS chainset it wasn't much use. So this is probably why they're reluctant to help you.

IME there's only 2 things go wrong with most bottom brackets.
    1 - worn bearings but this usually happens after at least a couple of thousand miles, usually you just notice a sort of grinding coming throught he pedals when this happens and to some extent this can be hidden for a short time by pumping the bearing full of grease.
    2 - cracked bearing housing, this is normally associated with a loud creaking sound from the BB.
    If you come off the bike and turn the pedals the grinding would still be present if it were the bearings, the creaking will disappear cause it's the force of you driving down on the pedals that causes the housing to ease apart and creak.

From what I've read about FSA BB's they're expensive super smooth but not very durable, £45 for a Mega Exo, whereas a Shimano Hollowtech BB is about £15.
    Last year I bought a new Ultegra Chainset and BB for £80 in the winter sale.

Ultimately it's up to you, if your happy with your chainset then repalce the BB, otherwise try and hang on for a few months and see what you pick up in the end of season sale.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • Well, I was going to back to Halfords to complain but decided to have a look myself first. Dismantled the bottom bracket and, instead of applying a dab of grease, completely covered the crank spindle in light oil.. amazing... seems to have cured the terrible creaking completely - 50 miles of perfect peace!
    So, if anyone else is having the Boardman Creak, try covering the crank spindle in oil....
  • Picked up my alloy framed Boardman Team from Halfords yesterday (15/9/12), went out on to usual 60km North Downs circuit this morning to try it out. It was great, except for the ruckus coming from from the BB at 40km. This must be some kind of record, as before the ride the bike only had the 6km I put on it from Halfords to home. Took it back to Halfords this afternoon, they agreed it shouldn't make that kind of noise and will fit new BB. Will keep y'all advised on progress...
  • Update: Halfords replaced entire BB and oiled the spindle on re-assembly. Picked it up last Thursday, put 85km on it yesterday and it is now as quiet as Mr Boardman intended. They said that there had been a batch of bikes where the bearings had not been greased at the factory, that oddly had only affected mens' bikes.
  • My BB30 bottom bracket was creaking on my Boardman too and they sorted it. He told me nothing needed replacing, just a fair amount of them came from the factory either completely dry or not greased enough for some reason and it's been quite common. This was apparently not the greasing of the bearings themselves but the fitting of them. I didn't really understand completely but it wasn't the bearings being dry, just fitted incorrectly (if grease is not involved in that then I misunderstood probably).

One or two of them at my local Halfords seem pretty clued up in fairness.
  • My first post, and I've just had to return my Boardman Team Carbon back to Halfords for the creaking bottom bracket too. They've just called and said it needs a new set of bearings which are on order. Very annoyed, the bike has only done about 150 miles.

I was also given the "problem at the factory" excuse, which it seems they've been using for ages now.
  • I've bought a hybrid team just over a week ago and it was doing it in the 11 o clock position on the left pedal. Changed pedals to the shimano spd sl and still doing it so not the pedals. Took the bike back to halfords, gave me he grease not done at factory excuse and stripped and greased it apparently. Now it's still the same and really annoying. Any ideas? Done up every bolt as tight as I dare yet no change.

Please help
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • Had creaking/clicking noise from bb area on my Boardman MTB Pro 29er about three months after I bought it.
    Halfords replaced bb (with a better quality one they said) but a couple of miles up the road it was creaking again!
    Took it back, they stripped it down and put loads of grease in.
    Haven't had chance to try it because while all this was going on, I was in the process of buying a Boardman Hybrid Pro.
    GUESS WHAT?!!!! After less than two weeks of riding the Hybrid Pro, it's creaking like the other bike!

Needless to say, I will be going back to Halfords to get some answers so will post the outcome on here.