Rivington Pike, Healey Nab and area

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited November 2011 in Routes
Am thinking about heading out this way at some point. Just wondering if there's a marked loop to follow or do I need maps, or can you just ride around blindly without getting lost!?

Also, coming from Blackpool on the M61, where's the best place to park up?

Comments

• col748
    col748 Posts: 81
    Best place to park in my opinion is the top or bottom barn car parks or the link road between the two.

There are lots of routes around Rivy many of them are footpaths which some people on here dont like us using/mentioning that people on the site use them.

There are no signposted routes and Healey Nab is a little tricky to find also its about 2/3 miles from the suggested car park but you can get there without using any roads.

Unfortunalty I dont have any maps or routes to show you just in my head, someone normally comes along and posts their routes when a subject like this comes up, or you try to search for some.

If you find any mentioning the down hill to san marco (I thinks its called that, its an Itailian Restutrant) its defo worth trying!
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    It`s not marked except for the short section round Healey Knab so you`ll need a map and/ or a gps plus a route. There is some excellent riding in the area with the downhill from the Pigeon tower being one of the highlights.

We park at the lower barn and head up to the Pike first, then depending on the length of ride take a left(longer) or right(shorter) at the bottom of the downhill off the back of the Pike. As has already been said you may need to use footpaths to plan your route.

Try bikely for a route.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    bit of info here. Scroll to the bottom for a trail map for Healey Nab itself.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    frankspencer1979 Sent you a PM with a link to some Rivvi routes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thank's chaps! Gonna try to get up there over the next couple of weeks.
  • We are looking for people to add content to the website such as walks, bike rides and photos, if you are interested please visit the website and follow the links to facebook and twitter on the top right of the home page, from there you can send us a message about adding content. http://rivingtonpike.com/
    Thanks

I apologise for the late reply, I often go from the barn, up sheep house lane, right at the top of sheep house lane across old Belomot road, out by the pigeon tower, then up to the pike. From the pike I head down the back then right at the bottom towards the dog hotel, just before wilderswood there is a gate, head through there and down through the woods, at the bottom you carry your bike over a bit of a fence and turn right up a short, steep slope. At the top of the slope you will be heading towards a farm, keep going past the farm, keep to your left and you will come onto a housing estate, stay on there for about 50m and take the first right into more woods. Keep going through the woods and you will come out on the main road through Rivington village, cross the road and head right for a bit, very soon there will be a carpark and a muddy track, go up the mussy track as far as you can go before you go into the resevoir and then turn right towards Liverpool Castle. Once you are at Liverpool Castle turn right round the back of it then make a fast left down a few steps and you will be on a path paralell to the resevoir, keep going through the woods, you will pass GoApe, keep going any you will eventually arrive back into Rivington Village, from there turn right and keep to the left, go back up sheep house lane, you will soon make a right turning (a bit after the tea rooms) and you will be back at Rivington Barn.

Hopefully you can try this one, it will be on the website soon. http://rivingtonpike.com/