MTB Jerseys and Base Layers for the Recession?

widetyres
widetyres Posts: 17
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Hi All,

I represent a small UK based bike clothing company, creating biking products for mountain bikers. What's different about our products is that we make them to reflect the potential expense of this extremely enjoyable and addictive sport!

I'm trying to do some market research to understand if our low cost high quality MTB clothing would be of interest to the biking community?

Would you potentially buy low cost stylish MTB trail jerseys and base layers over the top brands, if they had just as much shredding credibility but at half the price?

Your feedback would be much much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Yes, if they were genuinely as good....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep. I don't care about brands as long as what I'm buying works well.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You'd be daft not too buy something half the price if its just as good although I'd be surprised if you can provide same quality items for half the cost.
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    Look how quickly Aldi sell their bike clothing. It gets advance warning threads on this site and even notices on which branches have stock left.
    Speaking for myself I buy clothing that works and is well priced.

You could just PM me for my address, send me your range of clothing and I will review it here on the site. Oh and I wouldn't charge you a penny for a favourable review.
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    i don't care for brands either - i wear the same worn shorts and t-shirts for riding in, they only get more knackered. I also have some Aldi stuff for commuting in as it works a treat and is dead cheap

if you can really match the quality then you'd be onto a winner. Is there a name for this company?
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    No got to be cheaper than that You are up against - Lidl and Karrimor are less than half the price of the decent brands and just as good.

However, if you can make minor improvements over the big named brands you might be on to something.

Some ideas:

Armour pockets on outers, the motorcycle industry has been doing it for years.
    Ability to zip the base in to waterproofs for winter/summer use
    hoods that will go over a helmet. I have often wanted to put a hood over the helmet rather than take my helmet off and re-adjust the helmet for the hood underneath
    waterproof base layer (membrane between fleace layer - I used to have some of this) great for when you can't be bothered to put the waterproofs on.
    stuff for wimin in non wimin colours - mrs diy hates pink and lilac.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    What exactly is "shredding capability" and why exactly would I want my clothing to shred?
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    widetyres wrote:
    Would you potentially buy low cost stylish MTB trail jerseys and base layers over the top brands, if they had just as much shredding credibility but at half the price?

see thats where your going wrong...
    stylish=plain/black then yes :lol:
    but give me something that works and then you get your credibility

do it for half price the price and i'll have two sets please.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Free Haribo helps.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    I have used dhb stuff and that is great value for money over the bigger brands. Its great value but the mtb stuff isn't quite the same standard as the bigger brands. I have found endura to be the best mix of quality and value so far especially with special offers.

In answer to the question, if it was as good and cheaper it would become a bigger brand very quickly and can't see a reason not to buy it.
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Yes!!. I find the current branded clothing costs far too prohibitive in the current climate let alone having a wife 3 kids and a house to provide for. I'm currently riding around in Sports Direct range of Karrimor cycling shorts (worn underneath Primark 3/4 length shorts) with Muddy fox short sleeved top and matching jacket for when its raining. Would love to upgrade to the "cooler" brands but £70 upwards for an altura night vision jacket and another £40 for endure shorts is just not going to happen.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    cooldad wrote:
    Free Haribo helps.
    This! :wink:

If you can produce breathable waterproof's at a reasonable cost you'll be on to a wilnner. I'll buy whatever is reasonably priced and does what i want it to. I cant justift buying these waterproof shorts at £70+
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Definitely, I currently use Endura & DHB stuff quite a lot.

Only really buy "big names" when they are discounted.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Given I've got two Nalini long-sleeve and two Rapha short sleeve jerseys which, in the sale, cost me under £100 for the lot, price will have to be keen to avoid the sale equation
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    if it works just as well as the big players kit.....and doesn't offend me with its colour scheme....

then yes.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Same as the majority, prove that it works and you'll be on a winner.

Endura and Oakley currently feature largest in my collection of kit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    You'll never get reviewed by the bike mags.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • I'd buy. Don't give a monkeys what the brand is.

Especially if the fit is good (not like Endura, Karrimor, etc with their seemingly random sizing)
  • agree, price is more a major factor nowdays than style, but also need to retain functionality.

I say we all get some freebies (and haribo) as we have helped in your marketing!! :lol:
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
    Orange Diva (for the bint)
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Jerseys: I tend to go for style. I've got some Fox ones but Royal are also tempting as they've got some sweet designs too.

Baselayers: I get whatever works best for the price. I've got some Merino Wool ones from On One and you'll have some real difficultly in beating their prices.
  • At the moment I'm using almost exclusively decathlon own brand stuff with the exception of the amazing on-one merino jersey I bought the other day and the altura waterproof trousers.

I'm not going to pay more that £20 for a top and ideally it should be £10-15. I'd pay upto £30 for a nice long sleeve jersey with a decent full zip (even 3/4 would be OK).

Oh, and I like pockets on the back which are nice and deep and you feel secure putting stuff in (yep, ideal for commuting).
    --
    FCN 9
  • Hi All,

Thank you so much for the useful feedback, it's great to hear the enthusiasm for the product.

We are at the very early stages at the moment, but I'll post a note when we're up and running. Might even chuck some Haribo in :wink:

Thanks again.
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 78
    This is the type of thing I'd be interested in as a returning mtb rider. I have very little in the way of mtb kit and need some stuff that can get properly muddy but for the amount of riding I am managing lately I can't justify expensive kit.

Wearing old hoodies and shorts isn't ideal.
    Why so serious?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    widetyres wrote:
    Hi All,

Thank you so much for the useful feedback, it's great to hear the enthusiasm for the product.

We are at the very early stages at the moment, but I'll post a note when we're up and running. Might even chuck some Haribo in :wink:

Thanks again.
    I think if you send some samples to the guys in the MBUK office with a box of pastry's or Doughnuts, your products will get a blinding review in the mag :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bails87 wrote:
    Yep. I don't care about brands as long as what I'm buying works well.
    ^^THIS

Most of my current stuff is from known brands like Endura and Helly Hansen - because I've found over the years that they really are better than most inferior brands.
    I went through a phase of buying cheap things like Gelert, but was always let down.
    If a cheap product was genuinely as good as I expect, then I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
  • I don't think too many folk are bothered by the brand, especially on something like base layers.

If you look at some kit by companies like On-One, they're just as good as the expensive stuff and plenty of people on here seem to be of the same opinion.
  • The only base layers I've bought are discounted ones. I don't really care about brand name as they usually go under another shirt anyway. Another idea, shorts for big legs. Seriously, I tried on large Alturas and they barely got to my knees.
    Big guy; small air!
  • Anonymous
    Alturas are a very skinny fit!
  • Very skinny is almost exactly the opposite of how I'd describe my legs. But it seems lots of shorts/trousers are made for skinny legs in general.
    Big guy; small air!
  • Anonymous
    I agree. I usually have to up up at least a notch in waist size to get shorts or trousers that fit my legs.