Which Giro Helmet has the least mushroom look ?

dmont
dmont Posts: 74
edited August 2011 in Road buying advice
Currently I have a cheap Bell helmet, it looks like a massive mushroom !
I'm looking at the Giro helmets, as for me they look the best, however which one has the least mushroom effect ?

I'm looking at the - Prolight, Ionos, Atmos and Aeon...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Riding - Voodoo Bantu

Comments

• Prolight is the worst for it, you will look like a certain character out of super mario.
    I tried the Aeon the other day, and whilst it was a lot better than the prolight, it still protruded at the sides-but saying that, I have a reasonably skinny head (I think).
    having tried all three, (but owned none) the atmos (and the ionos) are the best fit for me in terms of 'mushroom-y-ness'
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Why does it HAVE to be a Giro? Also, surely it's about comfort/fit before looks. They're made to the same standards anyway. An ill-fitting helmet might not do it's job properly as well as becoming enough of a distraction to actually cause the accident in the first place.

FWIW I have a Giro (Transfer, nothing special) and find it perfect for my roundishly shaped head.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Roadtart
    Roadtart Posts: 54
    Have had 2 Giro helmets, and they both looked like mushrooms on very tall stems - first one was a Monza, second an Ionos. Kept the Monza for a spare though, for a while (and when the Ionos was drying out on a couple of occasions).

Now, it's one each of Kask K50 (spare) and Vertigo (main), all black. The K50 is in case I fall and break the Vertigo. Much the same fit as the Giro were, but the "up and down" adjustment is what swung it for me.

I do live up to my forum name.....I am a tart.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I got a Kask Vertigo delivered yesterday. Superb fit, not overly mushroomy. Very, very comfy. Only gripe is you can't slot your sunglasses in the front vents. £90 delivered off ebay, but only available in medium.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • The atmos is not too mushroom like...
  • dmont
    dmont Posts: 74
    Thanks for all the replies

Looks like I'll be looking into the the atmos and the ionos further, I'll be in town at the weekend, so I can pop into the LBS and try them on.... hopefully they have them in stalk.

I'm a relitavley newbie and haven't even heard of Kask, after a quick look on the internet, they look quite smart.. maybe worth a further look...

Mouth - thanks for your reply, I'll take it on board. I don't HAVE to get a Giro, it's only I want to treat myself to a new lid as the current one is horrid and makes my head look 10 times it's real size and I like the look of the Giros... http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228868

Cheers Guys

Dmont
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • dawebbo
    dawebbo Posts: 456
    +1 for prolight being a mushroom. That said, I find it comfy and am happy with it.
  • Try the boardman helmet in Halfords (£60). Great value for a lightweight carbon helmet, and used by the man himself. It has a different shape to most other helmets too.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    The atmos is not too mushroom like...

+1

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Mouth wrote:
    Why does it HAVE to be a Giro? Also, surely it's about comfort/fit before looks. They're made to the same standards anyway. An ill-fitting helmet might not do it's job properly as well as becoming enough of a distraction to actually cause the accident in the first place.

Wot he said.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I always have the same problem. skinny head small frame. My budget was <£70 tops.
    Tried Giro Monza - very mushroom like.

Bought a Giro Stylus - its only a budget £50 helmet, but I like its small size.

Local bike shop did a £45 price match to this internet price.

http://www.fawkes-cycles.co.uk/466/prod ... elmet.aspx
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Planet X have medium Giro Atmos for £80.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HEG ... elmet-2010
    If it fits, it is a great helmet at a fab price...
  • aspender
    aspender Posts: 96
    I've just moved from a Super Mario style Bell Solar to a Giro Atmos. I now feel much less fungal.
  • apxn98
    apxn98 Posts: 12
    -1 for the prolight being a mushroom! I have a skinny head and I am concious of looking stupid in headwear. I look stupid in most hats.
    Tried several on at my LBS and I now own a prolight. No more mushroomy than any other helmet in my opinion.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Make sure and get the smallest size that still fits. My head measures up as a Large Giro on their sizing scales, but I wear a medium Ionos with the tightenting mechanism all the way in basically. Could probably wear the small with the mechanism all the way out.

Smaller you go the less mushroomy they look.
  • I can't recommend the Kask Vertigo enough!

I bought the Giro Aeon because of the reviews it got and going by the photos it looked nice and slim. It arrived, it was horribly uncomfy, cheap feeling to it and looked very bulbous on my head!

After doing a bit more research and a well timed newsletter from Planet X I ordered the Kask Veritgo for nearly £100 cheaper than my Aeon.

It arrived and I loved it instantly! The quality is way ahead of the Giro and the comfort is second to none! The gel pads, the faux leather straps and the up and down adjustability as Roadtart quoted are great features! It also looks WAY better on my head than the Giro did... it sits nicely and doesn't stick out in places you don't want it too!

Remember, everyone's head shape is different. It's trial and error, so if you don't get it right the first time, keep testing and I'm sure you'll end up with something that fits great for you.
  • Roadtart
    Roadtart Posts: 54
    Rokkala wrote:
    Make sure and get the smallest size that still fits. My head measures up as a Large Giro on their sizing scales, but I wear a medium Ionos with the tightenting mechanism all the way in basically. Could probably wear the small with the mechanism all the way out.

Smaller you go the less mushroomy they look.

Exactly. I had a large size in the Giro helmets, but when I tried the medium in the Kask, they were perfect - that's why I have 2. A much better fit in my opinion.

Oh, and I got mine from Condor Cycles in London. What a shop!!!!!
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Anyone own a Met helmet -

I quite like the look of the MET Stradivarius in stealthy matt black

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45390
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    also bear in mind fit can vary withn brands so it is best to try on each model.
    my fiancee tried on a small Giro Atmos and it wasn't that comfy, by the small Giro Ionis seemed to fit her better and was more comfortable..
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    More mushroom is better....more overhang equals more protection.

I hardly think that anyone else gives a feck if you have a mushroom looking helmet head ffs.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Anyone own a Met helmet -

I quite like the look of the MET Stradivarius in stealthy matt black

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45390

Yes I own the met, good helmet, however I am still looking to change. I bought it (tried for fit) and after a while of use-age, found that it wasn't the best fit for my head-seemed to sit ontop of my head rather than a snug fit (if that makes sense)- However its brilliant, light, has a gel pad that doesn't absorb sweat, and doesn't look mushroomy, although my hair does stick out of the vents, which looks a bit naff.