Beginner with trek ex8

coonan
coonan Posts: 4
edited August 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi there, I have been reccomended this forum by my son...Just getting into mountain biking after about 10 years out of the saddle of my road bike. I have just got a new and unused 2010 trek ex8 at a steal from Evans. I am looking at upgrading the wheelset to the superstar wheels http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=497 but not sure if these would fit. I think the rear at the moment is fitted differently, could anybody confirm this? The front is a normal quick release I think...Could anybody help me please?

Keith :roll:

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    it should have a M525 hub, take the wheel out it could be a standard quick release.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I would wait until you have trashed the wheels that came with the bike. Stans rims are great (I have flows) but they are not worth spending money on when you have new wheels.

Plus if you have anything go wrong with the bike in the first 6 months you have the option of a full refund, but not if you have sold half of it and swapped bits around.
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    What he said ^^^^^^^.

Ride it as it is and see how you like it. you may find you want to upgrade other parts before the wheels, or it may all be perfect.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    If you mean the rear QR skewer then yes it is different (longer to allow for the ABP bearings) However the hub size is the standard 135mm so wheel will fit using the skewer that came with the bike that is providing you get standard QR hubs ! If that makes sence ?
  • coonan
    Bishbosh10 wrote:
    What he said ^^^^^^^.

Ride it as it is and see how you like it. you may find you want to upgrade other parts before the wheels, or it may all be perfect.

to late for that as i have already upgraded to carbon bars stem and an acc seatpost :wink:

k....
  • coonan
    Mark_K wrote:
    If you mean the rear QR skewer then yes it is different (longer to allow for the ABP bearings) However the hub size is the standard 135mm so wheel will fit using the skewer that came with the bike that is providing you get standard QR hubs ! If that makes sence ?

thanks Mark ....thats what i needed to know :)