Shifting up issue

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited August 2011 in The workshop
I suspect this is a simple one to remedy, but as I am something of a newbie where gears are concerned, any help would be appreciated.

My bike has started taking a long time to shift up a cog at the back and I often have to encourage it to do so with a little extra pressure on the shifter (Campag ergo). Shifting down is as smooth and quick as always.

Cheers in advance tech guys!

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Sounds like the cable has stretched a touch. Try turning the barrel adjuster on the back of the mech anticlockwise, a quarter of a turn at a time until it's shifting sharply again.
  • Godders1 wrote:
    Sounds like the cable has stretched a touch. Try turning the barrel adjuster on the back of the mech anticlockwise, a quarter of a turn at a time until it's shifting sharply again.

Thanks Godders! I thought it might be something as simple as that. I'll give it a go and hopefully all will be good. cheers!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ps shifting up is actually to a smaller cog. Shifting down is to a larger one. (lower gear)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    ps shifting up is actually to a smaller cog. Shifting down is to a larger one. (lower gear)

Thanks! I did know that, but I must have spazzed-out when writing my OP. The issue was shifting up to a higher gear (down to a lower cog). I suspect may have confused Godders as I have almost sorted the issue by following his barrel twisting advice, but in a clockwise direction.

Thanks for all help!