Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0 (Pics now added)

2»

Comments

• Thanks Mike,

I hope your calculations are correct as that would be perfect. I also use short reach bars (Deda Newton shallow). My ideal would be around 565mm so it looks like with the saddle back slightly more the fit would be fine.

Is the pic of your set up including the Canyon seatpost?

Thanks

Neil
  • Cheers mate :D
    zoso7 wrote:
    The carbon finish on my frame looks great, its more random than you see on frames like spesh Tarmac etc but it still looks great and there are certainly not bits where it looks odd or flawed, I think the fact that its matt finish helps with this. In my opinion the frame looks great in the flesh, its almost like a traditional geometry, nearly level top tube.

Size wise I think your in the right ball park, 54 might be the most suitable maybe even a 56 but dont take my word for it. enter your dimensions into the onsite frame sizing system for its recommendation and to be doubley sure, go to http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO, enter all your dimensions into their bike fit system and get your output emailed to you. then forward these dimensions to the uk rep on the Canyon website. This is the steps that I did for mine and I think the size of mine is spot on. Canyon bikes come up a little small, I got a 60 but in other brands i would probably be about a 58.

I hope this helps.

BTW, the bike is amazing, so fast, comfortable, light, all the cliche's you hear people saying about their new bikes, but in this case its absolutely true.
    This is not a race!!!!But I'm winning
    Canyon cf
    Cannondale caadx 9
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Flintlock wrote:
    Is the pic of your set up including the Canyon seatpost?

No. I got mine just before they started making their seatpost. I was supplied with a really really short Ritchey one, a little too short for the amount i needed sticking out anbd my peace of mind. I got a 330mm Fizik Cyrano in there now.

As far as i can tell the Canyon one's come in 330mm too which is a sensible length really. i think the Ritchey was 300mm or less.
  • Thanks Ekimike.

It looks like the 60 will be fine. I hope to order it while they still have the offer on.

Out of interest where did you get your reach info from? i only ask as the canyon website only lists a reach difference of about 3mm despite the difference in top tube length.

Cheers

Neil
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I'm just using Canyon geo charts and the measurement between my saddle tip and bars. Stem is same 110mm which is what will come on a 60cm.

It's not exact by any means but it comes within the range of minor adjustments that can be made such as seatpost setback (Canyon seatpost allows this) and short reach/longer reach bars.

Forgive me if i've got this totally wrong or am referring to reach when it should be called something else. I know angles may be different e.t.c. So it's no mathematical proof method. Just some common sense.

I believe far more in fettling than exact calculations based on models of what 'people' generally fit-in to (i.e. fit calculators/models are only good as starting points IMO).
  • Thanks Mike.

All of your info has been great and im going to get the 60! I agree that from your info my dimensions should be fine give or take a few mm. Ive done the maths and the slightly different angles only make about 5mm difference so it will simply be down to saddle position.

Cheers

Neil
  • ck99
    ck99 Posts: 44
    My saddle height is approx. 800mm from BB centre to top of saddle. still tweaking it slightly but this is round about where it will be. I'm 6'2" inside leg of 34", I hope this is of some help.

Guys, I am 6' 2" (188") with an inside leg of 34" (86.3) and I know that I have long arms as I have to buy shirts with longer sleeves. When I use the Canyon guide, it recommends a 62" frame for an In Seam of 93" or 92.5", but if I change my In Seam to 92" then it says a 60" frame. The frame size only becomes a 58" when I put in a false (for me) In Seam of 88".

However, using Competitive cyclist, it is recommending a shorter Top Tube Length, more like the 58". For info, my In Seam is 92.5/93.0, Trunk is 60.5 and Arm is 70.0. Tragically, I am nearly 50 and have been prone to back pain in the past, so would prefer comfort over performance as I plan to do multiple 100mile + Sportives with the new bike.

Any help or advice woudl be much appreciated.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Looks good. I am 6'2 with 35' inside leg and also ride a 60 in the Canyon (81.5 cm from BB to top of saddle).

This summer I found that I could fit a Cornetto into the space left at the top of the headset. These Germans think of everything....
  • ck99
    Thanks Mccaria, I saw from your post in mid Sep re buying a Canyon that
    I am 6'2 with 35 inch inside leg. I have tried both the 60cm and the 62cm in the Canyon frames and settled on the 60cm but with a 12cm stem (the 60cm comes standard with the 11cm stem).

The front end is high on the Canyon and if you like a lower position I doubt you will get that on the 62cm frame. Also it is not as though you can easily switch to a lower angled stem to compensate given the limited availability of stems fitting the head tube.

I am 6' 2" with a 92.5/93.0 In Seam (36.4"). I do not want a low position as am 48, weigh just under 14 stone and have suffered from back problems in the past. I ride a Trek 2.1 58", which had its stem reversed to give me more height and comfort. Its a very comfortable bike, especially now that I have Shimano Ultegra wheels, that allow me to do 100m+ Sportives with lots of climbing. I see that you cannot add extra spacers on the Canyon. A colleague from work, who fits into the obcessive cyclist category is pretty convinced that the Canyon CF SLX 8.0 with a 60" frame is the one for me. I have signed up to do the TdF Act1 etape in July next summer, so want a much better bike (and body) to avoid the broom wagon. Thoughts ? Curiously, how did you manage to try the 58" and 60" frames ?
  • zoso7
    zoso7 Posts: 66
    I would say that the 60 is a good fit for you, you are similar dimensions to me and the bike fits great and because of the design of the seatpotst there is a lot of adjustment available too. You can't add any spacers under the stem but this bike isn't super aggressive so it isn't very low at the front. The bike is great and very comfortable, much more so than my Aluminium Giant.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    ck99,

I have sent you a pm, but I think the 60cm sounds the right way to go. We are both 6'2 with a similar leg length and at circa 13.5 stones, we are a similar build. I went 1cm longer on the stem and after riding the frame for a couple of months I took out the 2 spacers supplied with the frame and lowered the front end. There is a reasonable range of adjustment possible and you can certainly have the front end set up higher than I have mine and I don't think I ride a particularly aggressive set up.
  • ck99
    Mccaria, thanks for your help. Both you and my work colleague are convinced that the 60" is the one for me. Thanks for your help.
  • hendo9
    hendo9 Posts: 34
    Just to jump onto this thread for some sizing advice. I'm 5'11'' (180cm) with an inseam of 82cm and currently ride a 56cm specialized allez. I want to purchase an ultimate cf slx frame and was fairly convinced I needed a 56 cm frame, especially given that the top tube on the canyon is shorter than the one on the specialized. However the pps system recommends me a 54. I'd have thought this would be a little small, especially with the stock 90mm stem that is provided.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
  • When you look at the Canyon webpage if in doubt about sizing etc, call the UK number and speak to Cullen.
    He is super helpful.
    I purchased the Dura ace version in july, best move I ever made, wouldn`t go back to my Colnago C50.
  • I would recommend taking boyblunders advice and speak to Cullen. But just for your info i'm 6'3 (190) 34in inside leg and have a 60cm frame- after speaking to Cullen,an increase from my Specialized Allez which was an Xl (58cm).
    I did have a bike fitting session and the size is right for me, the seat post however is at max and the stem flipped (but standard) but the bike is superb no complaints at all.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    I'm 6'1 and have an inseam of about 87-89

When I change it from 89 to 87 it recommends a 56, but when changed to 89 it recommends a 58. The top tube on the 56 is freakishly small however, being 55.5cm. My arms are quite long, though on a 58cm Tarmac/Allez I felt too stretched out on the top tube.

Might ring that guy and see what he thinks