Silly Commuter Microwave Tricks

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Following on from DDD's "Can I microwave my clothing?" thread, I thought there should be a place to share your silly microwave tricks.

1st up is my one for lighting lightbulbs:
EKE_38BPM wrote:
Dunno about clothing, but I know that if you put an old school filament lightbulb (not sure about the energy saving bulbs) into half a cup of water, with the connection side in the water and the glass bulb out of the water, and then put the cup containing the water and the light bulb in the microwave, the bulb will light up.

I've done this and it works, but I only did it for a few seconds as I only wanted to prove the concept, I didn't want anything to go bang!

Don't try this at home, kids!!! (Do it at a friend's house)

Secondly, we have jds_1981's "Plasma grapes"
jds_1981 wrote:
Interesting thing to do is cut several grapes almost in half (old ones that have started to dry out work better), then carefully place them in the microwave & put it on full.
If it doesn't work very well you end up with lots of sparks, if it works well you end up with glowing clouds of plasma floating to the ceiling of your microwave.

Best performed with student hall microwaves....

So, are there any other tricks? I'm sure they physicists amongst us know a few or could think up some good ones.

I think I should say that microwave ovens should only be used for the purpose it was designed for and in the manner it was designed to be used. Doing silly things with a microwave could be dangerous and could lead to noxious fumes, fire, explosions and fun.
If you die trying anything on this thread, it ain't my fault!
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    *fills in lawsuit form, picks up grenade*
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    Plenty here:

isitagoodideatomicrowavethis

Wasted 2 hours since looking up grapes to see what happens.