Fox fork protection

SavellM
SavellM Posts: 94
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Im looking for some Fox Fork protection.
Specifically the top as i have noticed a bit of cable rub, so dont want to use a small piece of like 3m, but want like a 3m sticker across the whole top, if one is available?

OR some other sort of protection on the top?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Where is the cable rubbing? If the cables are routed properly, then they shouldn;t rub on any part of the fork.
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    Like a clear, self-adhesive film? You could try eBay; you may find a large sheet available that you could cut down to size as you would for say, a camera LCD protector.
  • SavellM
    Hey...

You can see in this img:
    img0144sh.jpg

Just at the bottom of the front frame, where the fork connects to the frame/headset.
    So its in a weird position where its neither here or there.

Could I shorten the outer cable a bit?
    But then it would rub on the frame itself a bit more would it not?
  • Id shorten the casings and fit some protection to the frame.
    Halfords do some cheap clear stuff which cat be cut down and is ok
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165524
    You can also get rubber slip ons like these
    http://jagwireusa.com/img/products/lg/CHA0371.jpg
    Specialized Enduro 2010 -custom
    Specialized Stumpjumper Elite 2009
    Specialized Hotwalker - start them young

Jamis Xenith Comp - Road
  • SavellM
    Thanks mate.

I like those Jagwire thinggs :)
    Wow looking at their site there are loads:
    http://jagwireusa.com/index.php/products/v/Tube_Tops

Those white ones do you know which ones I will need?

Do you know where I can get them from over here in the UK?
  • Shorten the gear cables, they are way too long (weight weenies would be having kittens). The rear brake pipe is about the correct height, maybe a bit shorter.

Go to www.biketart.com and buy a roll of bike tape. Use a piece of paper to get the right shape, you want a piece that will go around the entire front of headset shaped to go close to the tube welds on either side (sorry can't tell if it's alu of CF), don't go over the welds as it won't stick down securly, round off any corners. Transfer the shape to the tape and follow the instructions on how to apply, use a hair drier to warm the tape and make it more flexible to flow into the shape of the Head. The result will be practicaly invisible and protect the frame from rubs.
  • SavellM wrote:
    Thanks mate.

I like those Jagwire thinggs :)
    Wow looking at their site there are loads:
    http://jagwireusa.com/index.php/products/v/Tube_Tops

Those white ones do you know which ones I will need?

Do you know where I can get them from over here in the UK?

They don't work, When you ride hard they move on the cable and before you know it you've got rubs on the frame.

Tape is the best way, as it also protects against flying stones, off's, and when some d**khead leans their PoS against you pride and joy. When the tape gets scuffed, use a hairdryer and warm water to remove it and then replace. New bike finish for peanuts.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No need for frame protection there if you shorten the cables to fit. Those are far too long.
  • Stiff_Orange
    Jagwire protectors come free with new cables or can be bought as seperates.
    They are ok and dont move if you put a bit of tape under neath them when fitting.
    Where abouts in the UK are you?

As the others have said you would also be good to get some plastic frame protection as this can be easily removed & replaced and helps prevent stone chips. Try Ebay for this its usually called Heli tape and can be used all over your frame at key locations ie bottom tube, forks, Rear stantions to prevent chain rub. If your near an airport you may be able to get some from the Helecoptor guys as they use it on the rotors.
    Specialized Enduro 2010 -custom
    Specialized Stumpjumper Elite 2009
    Specialized Hotwalker - start them young

Jamis Xenith Comp - Road
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What Yeehaa said, or just some small bits of helitape if there's still a bit of rub.
    Trying to cover whole sections of bike is silly - if it's that much of a worry hang it on the wall and get a cheaper one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And run the rear brake around the headtube.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SavellM
    cooldad wrote:
    And run the rear brake around the headtube.

Will do...

And thanks all :)

I have some tape on order, and will shorten my cable housing slightly too :)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Good check on front cable routing. Can your bars spin 200 degrees either way, with all functions mostly working and not twisting stuff up too much. Helps save breakages in crashes.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd have probably run the gear cables around the headtube as well as shortening them a bit.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Surely how the cables run around the headtube is related to the cable routing from the headtube to the gears? If the routing takes the rear down the left side it would be impossible to run it around the headtube (as is the case on my Heckler).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • SavellM
    Yip I think you are correct Paul.

There is a grommit on the frame that is angled, I can adjust it, but it affects both cables.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Might be bike specific but many will let you run them either way. Certainly my 2007 Stumpjumper has the cables crossing over the head tube and then crossing again under the BB (full length outers if that makes any difernce). Running them around the head tube increases the radius of the curve, less drag and less likely for the outers to fail prematurely.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result