N+1: What's the BR verdict?

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
One of these:
http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPETVERSA11/on-one-pompetamine-versa-11-speed-pro as a mudguarded, racked-up, whatever-the-weather, fairly cushy-tyred and reflective spokes workhorse?
Thinking of it as winter bike, with optional spiked tyres for snow/ice.

Oh, and I can't really afford it...
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Do it
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    I just got the 8 speed pompetamine versa (well a bit over a month ago).

It's heavier than my road bike, obviously. Noticeably so up hills and when starting. Quite nice once cruising. Can keep up with most roadies on it.

The brakes came very poorly set up, but are now quite good. If you are used to setting up cable disk brakes then that's not an issue. Youtube helped me a lot.

It's nice and comfortable, but then I guess that depends on what saddle, bars + tape, tyres you go for. I got the selle monte grappa leather saddle, cinelli bubble bar tape, left the tyres as the stock kojak ones. Thinking of unwrapping the tape a bit, putting some more under it then rewrapping it, as it's the least comfy part.

Err. Anything else you want to know? Oh, I haven't had to repair a puncture yet, so don't know how hard that is going to be.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    What bikes do you have already davis?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • davis
    @WR: Thanks!
    pangolin wrote:
    The brakes came very poorly set up, but are now quite good. If you are used to setting up cable disk brakes then that's not an issue. Youtube helped me a lot.
    I'm not that bad at fettling, and I reckon I could handle cable disks without problem. Is yours BB7 too?
    Err. Anything else you want to know? Oh, I haven't had to repair a puncture yet, so don't know how hard that is going to be.

I built an Alfine8 before, and the back wheel wasn't too much of a pain to change.

How's the efficiency of the Alfine unit? Not noticeably "draggy", and has it got proper rack/guard mounts?

I've currently got a Spesh Roubaix, a Sirrus (normal "wet" commuter until the crash, not ridden it since), an old Scott MTB, and a homebuilt Roadrat Alfine (currently set up for my old man to ride). I'm thinking I need a crosser...
  • pangolin
    davis wrote:
    Is yours BB7 too?
    Yep!
    davis wrote:
    How's the efficiency of the Alfine unit? Not noticeably "draggy", and has it got proper rack/guard mounts?
    I find it a bit more effort to ride than my road bike, but not having ridden alfine before I don't know if it's that or the bigger tyres, steel frame etc. Certainly not very draggy. It has 1 set of eyelets at the back so if you are having rack + guards then they will need to share. No eyelets at the front.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • davis
    Oh, and pangolin, how do you find the sizing? I'm a slight 5'10", which would apparently put me at the "Large", which I find a bit odd. My current road bike is about 560mm Effective Top Tube, so maybe it's accurate, and their sizes are just named a little oddly.
  • pangolin
    Hmm. I'm 6'2" and have an Extra Large. Plenty of seatpost though, and 3 spacers below the stem, so I would guess you will be ok with a Large. My stem is 80mm I think.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono