Burning quads

Captain Peanut
Captain Peanut Posts: 42
edited August 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all

When cycling, especially on climbs, I seem to suffer from intense burning in my quads. My suspicion is that it is a lactic acid build up but am confused as to why it only hits me in the quads, the rest of my leg muscles are fine.

I had suspected that this is down to the bike set-up but am getting the same on the exercise bike at the gym so am doubting that now. Could it be that these muscles are just weaker than the rest and need building up?

Thanks

Olly

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Those muscles are simply used much more heavily in cycling.
  • Cheers, guess I will just carry on with the cycling/stretching and hope to see some improvement soon.
  • Anonymous
    Also make sure you're drinking enough water, or preferably something isotonic, or nuun, something like that helps.
  • OK, any recommendations on the isotonic drink front? I did have a couple of sample packs of the Zero Cal drink, might give them a try.
  • Anonymous
    I think that's very similar idea to nuun, isn't it? And Nuun works quite well for me.
    Ooh, bannanannnanannananaaanas (how many a's and n's are in that word?) help too.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    I think that's very similar idea to nuun, isn't it? And Nuun works quite well for me.
    Ooh, bannanannnanannananaaanas (how many a's and n's are in that word?) help too.

Yes it's very similar, seems to be as effective and tastes better.

In regard to the burning when climbing, if you use clipless pedals, try to use the up stroke more, this gives your quads a rest and lessens the pain. Basically you'll have that characteristic roadie wiggle.
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    This might be a bit obvious, but have you got your seat at the correct height. I used to suffer similar and cured it by raising the seat a tad. I noticed the difference straight away.
    I always thought I had the seat high
  • Anonymous
    ollie51 wrote:
    try to use the up stroke more, this gives your quads a rest and lessens the pain. Basically you'll have that characteristic roadie wiggle.
    must..... resist..... bait.........
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    ollie51 wrote:
    try to use the up stroke more, this gives your quads a rest and lessens the pain. Basically you'll have that characteristic roadie wiggle.
    must..... resist..... bait.........

That did not sound that dirty in my head!
  • 1340jas wrote:
    This might be a bit obvious, but have you got your seat at the correct height. I used to suffer similar and cured it by raising the seat a tad. I noticed the difference straight away.
    I always thought I had the seat high

I will double check it but, according to the info I can find, it seems to be the correct height (ie, with pedal at bottom of rotation, and my heel on the pedal, my leg is straight. With the ball of my feet on the pedal leg is slightly bent at bottom of stroke). Would having the seat too far forward/back make a difference?
  • You would notice a pain in your lower back if it was too far forward or back, so wouldn't make a difference to your quads.

Do you tense your arms at all while riding, and grip the bars quite tightly when giving it gay? The arms are one of the best lactic acid relief parts of the body, and when you keep your arms relaxed, you lower lactic acid levels quite drastically.

+1 for isotonic drinks, you lose alot of minerals when cycling, and drinking iso drinks, or at least a decent juice, will help out quite a bit as well.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    +1 for Isotonic drinks.

Make your own - 100ml organic squash, pinch of sea salt, 500ml water. Done
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Anonymous
    Why "organic" squash?
  • felix.london
    good point - not sure if I read that organic squash was better or I just made it up (entirely possible). Def. read that sea salt is better than table salt - why? - I couldn't tell you :?

Trek Session 8
  • Anonymous
    I think it's because "hippies said so"
  • felix.london
    You could be right...bloody hippies

Trek Session 8