Rocking from the rear

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Specialized FSR XC and a mate has pointed out a rocking from the rear swing arm which I can now identify with. I brought it to the LBS and they said it was likely to be the bushings/bearings and would cost £140 to replace.

When I hold on to the seat (while the bike is on the ground) and jiggle it, I can feel and hear the slight movement. So I was told to attempt to remove the shock and move the rear swing arm through its motions up and down, and see if the thing sticks or grinds. From what I can see it is moving smoothly with a little bit of a gritty noise from the main pivot. But this is just dirt right?

So I cleaned around what I could, greased the main bolt I removed and then put the shock in again...and I can still feel/hear the slight rocking. Any ideas what I should do next? Do all the bearings need done?

Thanks in advance,
Adrian

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    possibly. and if that is what the shop says.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Check the shock bushings first, as worn ones can cause quite a bit of play, and they are cheap and fairly easy to replace.
    If that doesn't do it then look at the bearings (unless the bearings are obviously shot).
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • aidso
    I'm still in the process of removing the shock completely but how do I tell if those bushings have gone? obviously the less to replace and the more I can ddo myself the better :)
  • aidso
    I'm still in the process of removing the shock completely but how do I tell if those bushings have gone? obviously the less to replace and the more I can ddo myself the better :)
  • I have a 2010 fsr xc pro and had the same knocking as you have. it's the shock bushing and it cos me £9 fitted to replace. If it's not the bush.... I'll eat my hat!

just remove the shock and take it to LBS (you don't even have to take the air out of the shock)

one bolt at the top and a nut/bolt at the bottom and it will come out (don't forget to put a rag in the swingarm to stop it damaging your seat tube :wink:
  • aidso
    This sounds promising. The only problem I have at the minute is that bolt at the bottom which just likes to spin. None of my spanners seem to grip it and I refuse to use pliers to hold it.

£9 vs £140 sure does sound appealing!!!
  • you need to use a spanner on one end and an allen key on the other side and it will undo.
  • aidso
    OK I got to the bottom of it (dear oh dear). For closure, it wasn't anything to do with the Shock bushings. I spoke to a nice chap who told me if it was the bushings then when you get the shock off, they should fall out in your hand, or at least have some movement. Put the shock back in.

Anyways, the problem was the bearing that goes through the seat post tube and connects to the rear swing arm. I tightened this up and the rocking has just about gone. Well chuffed considering I was told it would be ~£180 to "fix it".