Lubrication

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I know it's been discussed a zillion times before but...

I've always used a wet lube, Finish Line Cross Country for the drivetrain. For my race bike I keep thinking about converting over to a dry lube to keep things looking cleaner, but I keep reading mixed reviews. I don't usualy race in the wet.

Does anyone on here use dry lube and would they recommend it, if so, which one?

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You're going wrong from wet lube you should use Liquid Silk.

Dry Lube always Teflon Dry Lube. (Teflon, so you know it's been developed by the space programme = good).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I use Finish Line Dry most of the time. This includes for commuting on wet days. If I know things are going to be wet, I may put some of the wet stuff on but otherwise I just have a small bottle of dry lube in my backpack (which I haven't needed yet).

I tend to clean and relubricate the chain after every wet ride anyway so everything usually looks pretty clean. On that basis, I find the dry stuff fine. I wouldn't use anything else on my posh, fine days bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I've used a few different Dry Lubes and I generally wouldn't bother. I thought the advantage of a 'Dry Lube' was that it doesn't gunk up so much with dirt, but this hasn't been my experience as I've found that it's easily on par with Wet Lube in terms of gathering grime etc. Wet seems much better all year round in my experience/opinion - and that's for all bikes, commuting hack or sunday best, and everything in between...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    I've used a few different Dry Lubes and I generally wouldn't bother. I thought the advantage of a 'Dry Lube' was that it doesn't gunk up so much with dirt, but this hasn't been my experience as I've found that it's easily on par with Wet Lube in terms of gathering grime etc. Wet seems much better all year round in my experience/opinion - and that's for all bikes, commuting hack or sunday best, and everything in between...

+1. A small amount of Muc Off Wet lube does for all my bikes, all year round. The dry ones don't seem to offer anything more, and I hate seeing rust on my chain if the heavens have opened unexpectedly.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Mr Plum wrote:

+1. A small amount of Muc Off Wet lube does for all my bikes, all year round. The dry ones don't seem to offer anything more, and I hate seeing rust on my chain if the heavens have opened unexpectedly.

The Muc Off Wet Lube is the stuff I use as well. It's really good. I've also used the Muc Off Dry Lube and was pretty disappointed, same goes for the Finish Line Dry Lube and No Flats Joe's Dry Lube.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Rock and roll gold, all weathers and it's lovely.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I use Progold (wet) lube on my commuter and mountain bikes. On my road bike, I've gone for Squirt (dry) lube. The latter seems pretty good but I'm not 100% convinced that it is any less gunky than Progold, so I may well revert to that once I've finished the bottle.

_
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    I use pro gold on my best bike and finish line dry on everything else, as long as you write down the chain and reapply after a wet ride you'll be fine, unless you're planning of spending hours in the rain... In which case i'd go with a wet lube
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Wet lube always. Somehow it makes even a very clean chain look like cr4p after a few hours of riding, but its quiet and smooth. I tried dry lube for a while, but it was noisy and I had to reapply every other day. Chain looked clean though.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    muc off wet lube for me

put too much on though an it turns into a mysterious gloopy crap
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Dry lube all the way. It won't attract grime on a roadbike if you apply it properly. I find lubing in thevening, leaving overnight and then giving the chain a thorough wipe down in the morning works best. No point in having lube on the outside of the chain anyway.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Jesus, I just spray the cassette and sprockets, spin the chain and go.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    Wet stuff for me. Dry is fine if you apply it frequently and keep the chain very clean. But then, if you are going to do all of that, you could say the same for wet lube.

A dirty chain is manly, like stubble.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    (Teflon, so you know it's been developed by the space programme = good).

No, it wasn't. But it's still good. :wink:

....unless you want to use in on stainless steel or other chromic materials- then it doesn't work. :?

I lubricate my chains (mountain and road) using a biodegradable wet-lube for chainsaw bars - applied sparingly and regularly with a rag.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,998
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I just spray the cassette and sprockets
    I know its sterile old chap, but you really should invest in some oil.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I just spray the cassette and sprockets
    I know its sterile old chap, but you really should invest in some oil.

I think he's just marking his territory.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Pretty conclusive then! :wink:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I just spray the cassette with GT85 whilst spinning the chain each evening. On a weekend I clean and lube with finish line wet, all year round.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX