Chain slip

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so I have recently removed my front mech and shifter (both were broken beyond repair).

I put the chain on the middle ring and have just been using the 9 gears at the back. The issue is that the chain slips regardless of what gear I am in at the back. This has only become an issue after I removed the front mech and shifter, my chain has the powerlink section so I removed and reconnected the chain by hand

I have checked using the ParkTool chain checker and the chain is not stretched.

The chainset is in good condition

The only other thing that has changed is that I am using a dry lube rather than wet lube could this be the cause.

I am starting to think that maybe the cassette has had it but I thought I would check before dropping £30 on a new cassette.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    where is it slipping? on the cassette or the crankset?

or is the freehub gone?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mr_eddy
    Look like its slipping on the lower cog wheel of the rear mech, What I don't understand is it was fine until about 2 days ago prior to me removing the front mech.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a stiff link then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mr_eddy
    Ah that may make sense as I had to remove the chain to take the front mech off so I will check the links, am I right in thinking that to free up a stiff link you rock that part of the chain forwards and backwards?
  • mr_eddy
    Fixed! nice one Nicklouse it was a stiff link, quick tweak with the chain tool and problem solved.

Thanks