Scratched Fox fork stanchion - is there a remedy?

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
While cleaning my bike with a cheap paintbrush, the metal collar of the brush scratched my stanchions. The scratch is about an inch and a half long vertical. Firstly, will this affect the forks performance, and if so, is there anything I can do to remedy the scratch. I'm hoping that I won't really notice it. cheers, Pete

Giant Anthem X3 2010.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looked in the FAQs? try it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rub it down with wet and dry sandpaper, you can try nail varnish in the scratch and rub it down but im not convinced this really does any thing, just make sure there are no burrs and you will be fine, i ran a fox fork all last winter with a scratch in it and it was fine no loss of air or oil
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • pseymour
    pseymour Posts: 194
    Hi. I did look in the FAQs but couldn't see anything there. Is there anything about it there then?

Cloudynights - is that true about wet and dry paper. Wouldn't that make it worse?
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • nicklouse
    at the top of page three there is a topic called "Scratched your Fork Legs?"
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    You would have to use a very fine grade like 2000 - 3000 i wouldnt use any harsher than that
    has the scratch risen the alloy ?
  • If you read MBR (sorry :oops: ) then they showed you how to do this in an issue a couple of months back. I'll try and find which issue it was.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or just do what Nick said.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    which works and is still working on those two forks now.