Bottom bracket / crank advice

gilmour84
gilmour84 Posts: 22
edited August 2011 in The workshop
I have had a Trek 1.2 for 10 months now, and I have went through 2 bottom brackets. (cartridge style). I commute 20 miles a day all year round, and probably do about another 60 miles at the weekend if the weather is good.

I took the bike into my LBS yesterday, and I was recommended to upgrade the FSA Vero cranks to Shimano 105, as the hollowtech bottom bracket is more reliable than the UN54 cartridge one. As this will cost me about £150 on a bike that is less than a year old I was wondering what other peoples opinions on this are.

Thanks,
Chris.
Archway to Hayes

Trek 1.2
Ridgeback cyclone

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Without wishing to dis your LBS the UN54 has proved hugely reliable over a number of years I have had them through the shop having been in bikes for aeons still running well. You do do a fair amount of miles but I have club mates who Audax 1000km a month and aren't fitting a new BB every 6 months. It may well be that if you are a bigger/more powerful rider the wider position of the external cups could help .
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Thanks for a differing opinion.

I am slightly on the heavy side, but think I will get another UN54 BB for just now and see how it lasts . Hopefully this time it will last more than 2000 miles.
    Archway to Hayes

Trek 1.2
    Ridgeback cyclone
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    hollowtech bottom bracket is more reliable than the UN54 cartridge one

I'm not so sure about this either, they get knackered very quickly on mountain bikes - I would also get a second opinion, have you got the option of taking the bike to another shop?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • funny one as i found that my shimano bottom bracket lasted only 2/3000 miles and upgraded to a hope bb. now sleep well at night, hope bb should last forever.