Hayes HFX-9

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought some HFX-9's about a year ago and fitted new sintered pads, slowly the rear brake "travel" got less and less until it was very difficult to spin the rear wheel... I decided to open up the bleed nipple on the caliper and let some oil out, this instantly fixed the problem and has been fine for a good while now.

I was just going to ask how is it possible that the brake "travel" lessened over time? Surely it would either stay very much the same or slightly grow if oil slightly leaked or something

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as the pads self adjust sometimes they over adjust and sit very close to the rotor reducing the movement needed.

Pushing them home and resetting them would have been a better fix.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    as the pads self adjust sometimes they over adjust and sit very close to the rotor reducing the movement needed.

Pushing them home and resetting them would have been a better fix.

I did on previous occasions push the caliper pistons right as far back in as I could and thought this "reset" them... Am I wrong? Because as soon as I pulled on the brake lever they were back right tight up against the rotor...

Cheers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ok sounds like the normal Hays on off feel. thats the best they get. play around with the reach adjust.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown